Console Freezing

I have an Xbox 360 Elite, purchased in 2009, and it has been lightly used over the years. Recently I've encountered an issue with my console totally freezing, and it seems to happen at random times and for random, undefinable reasons. It either happens right when I get to the dashboard, or when I begin to play a game (verified with 7 different games) on disc or a game on my HDD (verified with 4 HDD games). It will sometimes happen in the middle of a game, either disc or HDD, and sometimes it won't happen at all in a 2-4 hour game session. This random nature of the problem is what has me so confused.

I have searched long and hard for a solution to the problem, but nothing seems to work. Here is a list of things I have tried:

Clearing the HDD's cache (twice, once before formatting and once after)

Formatting the HDD (once)

Unplugging and then plugging back in all cords, making sure connections are solid (many times)

Using a different HDD (I own two, a 120gb which is my primary and an older 20gb)

I am fairly certain the issue is not related to overheating. When running, the back of my console is cool to the touch with a minimal amount of warm air being vented. I have shown no red rings of any sort during my experience with the freezing.

When I use my console WITHOUT AN HDD, it runs absolutely fine. I am willing to believe both my HDDs are faulty, but something is telling me this isn't the case. What are the odds of that?

So, I need to figure out what might be the problem here. If anyone can answer these few questions:

-Would a short in my A/V cable cause the freezing with an HDD plugged in but NOT when an HDD isn't plugged in?

-Could an issue with my power supply be causing my Xbox to freeze WITH an HDD plugged in but not the other way around?

-Could my Xbox itself be faulty and not able to properly read ANY HDD? And if so, does anyone have any information on how this could have happened?

I would appreciate some honest answers, and not just the typical "have you tried this?" nonsense. I have quite literally tried EVERY. SINGLE. THING this website provides in terms of troubleshooting. None of it has made a bit of difference, so I'm hoping someone can help. I've had such a mixed experience with the Xbox 360 over the years, this is my 4th console since 2008 and it is quite depressing that I keep running into issues, let alone issues nobody seems to have answers readily available for. Any help would be appreciated.

Oh, and if you're just going to tell me to get $100 ready to send my console along for repairs, then you can stick that idea you-know-where. I've spent well over $1,000 in the past 4 years on Microsoft's consoles, controllers and Xbox Live service. I am not going to shell out another penny until I get some actual, constructive, fact-based details on my problems. I think, from a consumer to a marketer of consumables, that this is a fair practice that you should consistently offer. Don't you?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

Yes, this once happened too me and the only method that worked for me is:

1.Press the Guide button on your controller, go to Settings, and select System Settings.

2.Select Storage or Memory.

3.Highlight any storage device, and then press Y on your controller. (It doesn't matter which storage device you select; the cache will be cleared for all storage devices.)

4.Select Clear System Cache.

6.When prompted to confirm storage device maintenance, select Yes.

I Hope this helped:D

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

No, see, I actually mention in my post where I did this. Twice. Since posting, three times total. Does not help.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there Kevbo! I understand you are having some rather random console freezing issues lately. I'd like to confirm exactly what you are experiencing when the console freezes. Does it literally freeze the image on the console, or does it seem to get "stuck" doing something? Also, is any controller input recognized, such as the Guide Button? If so, can you use the Guide command to return to the Dashboard? Also, are you still able to turn the console off with the power button, or is that unresponsive as well?

As you pointed out, your console seems to work just fine when you completely remove all HDDs. It would be helpful for us if you could try another HDD to confirm if this does or does not help. Perhaps there isn't an issue with your HDDs themselves, but rather the way your console interfaces with HDDs. Instead of replacing the HDD, you may need a console repair here. But that's getting a little ahead of ourselves. Let me know the above information and try another HDD if you can. Thank you in advance for your response!

Sorry this didn't help.