Console Ban wave under-way

It seems Microsoft have begun banning lots of consoles judging by this board of the forum 04 - Using my console.

Perhaps connected to the recent wave of account bans for marketplace theft? 

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 34 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Wow there are a few bans in there! The weird thing is it seems these people haven't willingly broken the TOU. Not that they would admit it. Any ideas what is going on?

No one ever seems to tamper when they get a console ban

There were many people banned last week for marketplace theft. Perhaps they are banning the consoles of repeat offenders?

It does always amaze me how many 'innocent' people get caught up in these things. I can imagine a few who bought their consoles second-hand getting unwittingly banned but most are just chancing their luck because Microsoft don't give a reason for console bans as they do with accounts. 

Microsoft always ban a load of consoles before the update.

You have to admit it's impeccable timing going on a system banning spree coming up to the winter season. Now I know how Microsoft keep system sales up over Christmas, lol.

What exactly was being stolen? Seems like staff are being very tight lipped about it.

Marketplace theft? That is some efficient shop lifting.

If they have bought a 2nd hand console which has been banned then thats really harsh. I feel for the parents who unknowingly buy these . shops should check them for bans before selling them as they are breaking the law by not doing so.

The others there must be a genuine reason and possibly looking at peoples games it could be  marketplace theft or phising or somehow detected jtagged consoles?. Im not judging yet but have my black hat ready... and to start laughing when they start rolling them out!!!!

A quick Google for 'marketplace theft' gives up some reasons. Most popular seems to be that people were downloading profiles from the web and using them to access games and DLC.

Given that Microsoft can tell on what console a profile has been active, that seems like an incredibly stupid thing to do. 

I guess most people don't realise the information MS can have to hand. Until the ban hammer comes forth anyway.

[quote user="voteDC"]

Most popular seems to be that people were downloading profiles from the web and using them to access games and DLC.

[/quote]

Unless the profile was acquired through illegitimate methods I don't see how this constitutes to theft.

I wonder if anyone got pulled for using points in the Xbox Live Rewards *** up.