Simple preamble here; over the past week a number of theories, rumours, accusations and other things you usually see on Mythbusters have been bandied about, debunked and then been accepted as fact anyway. So to save people repeating themselves and to hopefully
put an end to the misinformation being thrown around I put this together.
1. Scratched discs do not flag up anything to do with piracy nor will using them eventually result in your console being banned. I have a copy of Dead Rising that looks like a cat has attacked it and several more games that are also scratched to hell. Despite this my console hasn't been banned, as you can see from my recently played games I was playing Black Ops yesterday. I'm sure also the vast majority of 360 owners including many people on here have scratched discs and have also not been banned.
2. The tool that supposedly tells you if you're in line for a ban is a scam. No outside tool has been created that can tell you if you're in line for any enforcement action and installing this kind of software on to your console is grounds for a permaban.
3. Console bans do not begin and end with modding your console or piracy -
[quote]Consoles can be suspended from Xbox LIVE for a number of reasons including, but not limited to:
- Console tampering: Physically opening the Xbox and modifying it to play illegitimate software.
- Online fraud: Attempting to social engineer users, take over Xbox LIVE accounts, or other fraudulent activities.
- Repeat egregious violations: Multiple actions taken on accounts on the console by the Enforcement team for disrupting the service or impacting users.[/quote]
Key phrase in that section is "but not limited to." The above reasons are just the most common.
4. No one but XBLPET knows why all these consoles were banned. Any forum posts, blogs, petitions, Facebook groups, Twitter postings and YouTube uploads that claim to know the reason behind the bans are to be taken with a large dollop of salt as are claims of innocence from those posting. Not accusing anyone on here of being guilty but I'm sure a few people recall the video of the person saying he was banned despite being innocent and then forgot to hide his bright red avatar. Until such time as XBLPET reveal the reasoning behind the bans everything you read is purely speculation and guessing.
5. "Threads and posts are being deleted because of censorship". They aren't, the rules governing what you can and can't post on here have been around for years and a lot of what has been posted breaks those rules (threats of legal action, mass flaming, offensive slurs, petitioning, spamming, discussion of console bans etc).
Think that's everything.