Console ban misconceptions

Simple preamble here; over the past week a number of theories, rumours, accusations and other things you usually see on Mythbusters have been bandied about, debunked and then been accepted as fact anyway. So to save people repeating themselves and to hopefully put an end to the misinformation being thrown around I put this together.

1. Scratched discs do not flag up anything to do with piracy nor will using them eventually result in your console being banned. I have a copy of Dead Rising that looks like a cat has attacked it and several more games that are also scratched to hell. Despite this my console hasn't been banned, as you can see from my recently played games I was playing Black Ops yesterday. I'm sure also the vast majority of 360 owners including many people on here have scratched discs and have also not been banned.

2. The tool that supposedly tells you if you're in line for a ban is a scam. No outside tool has been created that can tell you if you're in line for any enforcement action and installing this kind of software on to your console is grounds for a permaban. 

3. Console bans do not begin and end with modding your console or piracy -

[quote]Consoles can be suspended from Xbox LIVE for a number of reasons including, but not limited to:

• Console tampering: Physically opening the Xbox and modifying it to play illegitimate software.
  • Online fraud: Attempting to social engineer users, take over Xbox LIVE accounts, or other fraudulent activities.
  • Repeat egregious violations: Multiple actions taken on accounts on the console by the Enforcement team for disrupting the service or impacting users.[/quote]

http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/consoleban

Key phrase in that section is "but not limited to." The above reasons are just the most common.

4. No one but XBLPET knows why all these consoles were banned. Any forum posts, blogs, petitions, Facebook groups, Twitter postings and YouTube uploads that claim to know the reason behind the bans are to be taken with a large dollop of salt as are claims of innocence from those posting. Not accusing anyone on here of being guilty but I'm sure a few people recall the video of the person saying he was banned despite being innocent and then forgot to hide his bright red avatar. Until such time as XBLPET reveal the reasoning behind the bans everything you read is purely speculation and guessing.

5. "Threads and posts are being deleted because of censorship". They aren't, the rules governing what you can and can't post on here have been around for years and a lot of what has been posted breaks those rules (threats of legal action, mass flaming, offensive slurs, petitioning, spamming, discussion of console bans etc).

Think that's everything.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

I disargee with two of your points.

1.  First off, only 6 games have the AP25 protection.  Dead Rising is NOT one of them.  So the fact that your copy is scratched is irrelevant.  It's only if one of those 6 games are scratched (in theory).     I can't say for sure if anyone that is flagged might be because it's scratched, but it does seem that at least some of the people that have been posting have failed this challenge, so it is a possibility as to the reason why they were banned.

2.  It is actually not a scam.  It doesn't get installed on your 360.  It's a pc program.  All it tells you is whether your 360 has flagged itself for something.    you are correct that it won't tell you are banned, however it will tell you that you MAY be banned in the future.

3.  I agree with this.

4.  I agree with this.

5.  I agree with this.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I did look into this and found I owned one of those six games which is also scratched (because I bought it pre-owned) and yet here I am unbanned. I wager millions have scratched copies of the six games and they also haven't been banned. If this is false flags caused by scratches why have they not all been banned?

I do research these things before declaring ;)

Sorry this didn't help.

it would have to be scratched in a specific location on the disk where the AP25 challenges are stored.  A scratch outside that area would not cause the ban.

Again, I am not sure I 100% agree with this theory, I'm just reporting what I find on google as well.

And as well, I highly doubt that AP25 challenge is the SOLE reason for the ban.  I'm sure that MS has additional evidence that we just don't know about.

Sorry this didn't help.

Pinch of salt and all that. If it were an error I'd like to think something would've been done about it by now or someone would've said something and then put a stop to it. We're not dealing with a machine that auto-bans because of a flag here.

EDIT: Either way I've missed the point of my own thread. The idea was to clear up misconceptions not have a discussion about how right/wrong I am.

Sorry this didn't help.

You are wrong about some things

-xbl can unban a system

-yes they can and will tell you why you were ban

you are right about the censorship

the number below is the name and number of the new official who does the unbanning his name is mat, he told me why my console was banned and he also is the only person who can unban a console.

Matt Munsinger

XBOX Exceptions Analyst

Customer Advocacy & Exceptions Management Team

TEL: 1.866.425.9899 EXT: 1143765

Monday - Friday: 8am - 4pm PST

ALL CAPS MEANS I AM YELLING

Sorry this didn't help.

IT seems like it , Cause everyone is having the same issues all resulting from the same cause. It seems EXTREMELY unprofessional from a business stand point to simply tell thousands of customers. "we cannot give you any information, go buy another one". If i had millions of dollars it probably wouldn't be that big of an issue , but the fact is that you have thousands of people complaining about the same thing and there is nothing being done to resolve the problem. I would accept a INCORRECT ban if they could even communicate with me via the telephone and give me one legitimate reason why i was banned. so i can take it up with whoever is responsible. Simply telling us there is nothing they can do is unacceptable for me. I didn't pay thousands of dollars to xbox for them to take it away from me and thousands of other whenever they feel like it. MW3 is coming out soon, is xbox really trying to bring in as much proceeds as possible ? Xbox bans a million console, now they will sell another million consoles at 300$ a piece because they can? they make 300 million dollars and dont have to explain their actions? I think fraud is not even the main issue , This is almost embezzlement from community members.

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="Talax Lives"]2.  It is actually not a scam.  It doesn't get installed on your 360.  It's a pc program.  All it tells you is whether your 360 has flagged itself for something.    you are correct that it won't tell you are banned, however it will tell you that you MAY be banned in the future.[/quote]Use of that program is a violation of the Terms of Use.[quote user="BTBONES4"]It seems EXTREMELY unprofessional from a business stand point to simply tell thousands of customers. "we cannot give you any information, go buy another one".[/quote]The people who have commited marketplace theft are aware that admitting their crime is not a useful way to get anything out of MS. They stick to the story that they have no idea what "Marketplace Theft". It's a social engineering tactic.[quote]the fact is that you have thousands of people complaining about the same thing and there is nothing being done to resolve the problem.[/quote]They did resolve the problem. They banned everyone's console that was used for Marketplace Theft.

The moral of this story is that sharing is bad. Do not let other people access your consoles, especially people you don't know. Ever.

The current exploit requires no modified hardware. Anyone who has had a console banned has been the victim of some kid's sense of entitlement.

Sorry this didn't help.

Very nice and informative thread VernierSlake. Thank You.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi there! Unfortunately Support agents will not be able to help you out with this issue. The only people who deal with this type of thing is the Enforcement Staff. Depending on your issue, please refer to one of the following links. Thank you!

For account suspensions, please post in forums.xbox.com/.../41.aspx.

For console bans, please read http://xbox.com/consoleban.

For "marketplace theft" issues, please read forums.xbox.com/.../62589.aspx.

For general info on violations and penalties, please read support.xbox.com/.../terms-of-use-conduct.

Sorry this didn't help.