Connection Trouble - I am probably an idiot

I checked out the other help topics, but I'm not sure what my problem is. I'll give the details here, thanks in advance for any help.

-I created a profile on the actual game. I'm assuming this is totally unrelated.

-I tried to join xbox live on the screen. It asked me for my email and password, but it didn't work when I entered them.

-I tried to join xbox live on the site, with my normal email. It said I already had a windows live account. So I said I forgot my password, but then Windows Live said there was something wrong with my User ID.

-Failing that, I created a new xbox live account with a new email address. That worked.

-Then I tried signing back on my tv screen with the new information. It said "this windows ID is associated with a different gamer tag."

-I went back online and changed my gamertag.

-Same error on the screen. I didn't think I even entered a gamer tag, so I'm not sure what happened.

Again, any help is appreciated.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 12 Applies to:

Have you tried actually recovering your gamertag through your console rather than signing-in? Keep in mind that you will need to know the windows ID and password for the gamertag you're going to use.

If it doesn't work right away, for instance if you changed something over the website, it may take a while for it to take effect with the updated information.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.