Connection problems and it's not the NAT

I am having issues connecting to Xbox Live. More accurately I am having problems staying connected to Xbox Live. I can connect to it just fine, for 5 or 10 seconds. After that time I am disconnected. I have tested my wireless network rather extensively with a laptop. Even to the point of using a packet sniffer to ensure there are no problems in the packet structures to and from the router. From the standpoint of the laptop, everything works perfectly. I have also gone through the sticky posts above and run their troubleshooting steps. These did not help. I have also found references to the NAT issue every admin seems to be replying with right now. This is not the problem. Even borrowed a "dumb" modem to try that step. Did not help.

The current setup was working great just a few days ago. There have been no changes to the network structure. The only major change was I applied a recent patch to Xbox. I haven't even installed new applications on my PC since the Xbox was working fine, to how it works now.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

Ok, I seem to have fixed my own problem. I gave up on the forums as a source of information and that seemed to help.

I went to support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-live/connecting/cant-connect-to-xbox-live-wizard and started following their guide. The step that helped was conducting a factory reset of the wireless settings on the Xbox.

Warning: When I did this my wireless network was no longer visible to the Xbox. After spending a few minutes cursing Xbox for crappy implementation, I started troubleshooting this as if it was a new and separate issue. My first step was to turn off the wireless router, wait 30 seconds, and then turn it back on. This solved the missing network problem.

FTR: I have no clue why this worked, by all rights it shouldn't have. Before the reset, two phones and a laptop had no issues finding the network. That it worked actually makes me worry a bit more about issues on the Xbox itself.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.