Connecting Xbox live thru Thunderbolt 4g

is it possible to do this?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

If you can connect a lap-top to the internet with that connection, then you can possibly bridge the connection to Xbox 360. I highly doubt the speed would be suitable for playing on LIVE, however.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

My friend at work uses the mobile hotspot with his Thunderbolt to game on xbox live.  It's smooth as silk as he routinely gets 18mb down and 4mb up with the connection.  A 7 hour COD session uses about 75mb, so he's well under the 2gb cap that Verizon has for the hotspot.

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes you can do it, there is a NAT issue that is unresolvable on your end, though verizon may be able to fix that for a fee on my connection the NAT type is Moderate, which can keep some things from working correctly like joining a party or being able to talk to or hear other players. Moderate NAT will also be the cause for people to drop you from a match, if the host of a CoD match for instance has a NAT issue then you won't be able to join, which isn't that bad to many people. However you will find cases where the host leaves, and if the host that left had an Open NAT, but the match migrates to someone else that has a NAT type then you will be dropped from the match without being allowed to complete the round.

The speeds are capable of working with XBL, I personally run my xbox through my Thunderbolt regularly. Over the course of time that it's been in my area though my 4G has reliably been above 20 Mbps for dl and usually in the 3-5Mbps upload range with under a 150ms latency. All things considered that's really good for using your cellphone.

There will wind up being a data cap most likely and XBL can burn through 5gigs of data (that being the old data cap on 3G depending on the plan) in a VERY short period of time. If you do wind up having a data cap one of two things will happen, you will either run into an issue with your speeds being reduced drastically or you will have an outrageously high data overage fee. They can, with data caps, charge your per meg you go over, and that could in theory make your bill twice as much if not more than it is normally.

Additionally you'll also run into the issue that the hotspot option is currently in many areas still free if not in all areas, however they have a disclaimer when you launch the feature that eventually you will be charged for creating a hotspot on the phone. Which can be a per meg charge or a flat fee, when this charge is introduced and the hotspot no longer exists as a free function then they can decide how they want to charge it.

Sorry this didn't help.