Connecting Xbox 360 Elite to PC Monitor (Black Screen)

Hello, I've been trying to connect my Xbox 360 Elite to my PC Monitor and failed to do so.

My monitor: http://www.viewsoniceurope.com/uk/products/archive/vx1935wm.htm 

The video inputs this monitor has are VGA and DVI so, from what I've read in the internet, I've decided to use the DVI input for having better quality over the VGA input. I've bought an HDMI to DVI cable and hooked up the HDMI to the Xbox and the DVI to my monitor. However, the monitor won't display any image, only a black screen. NOTE: The Xbox is perfectly fine since I can play in any regular TV.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help me :D

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 213 Applies to:

Hey there Door! Let's see what we can do to get things sorted.

To start off, here's a few questions for you:

1. Have you tried using the exact same setup with a different monitor to see if it works with another monitor?
  2. Are you using an HDMI to DVI converter? Or are you using a cable that's HDMI on one end and DVI on the other?
  3. Have you tried a VGA cable to see if that works with your setup?

I've seen HDMI to DVI converters give issues before, but most often the issues are with sound (since DVI doesn't transfer sound). Hit us back with the answers to those questions and we'll work with you from there. =)

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

1 - I've got 3 monitors at home and they are all the same model, and they aren't able to display my Xbox 360's images.

2 - I'm using a cable that's HDMI on one side and DVI on the other. According to the vendor I've bought it from, it works fine for connecting the Xbox 360 to any monitor (apparently he's already tried it out).

3 - Yesterday I've bought a cable that's AV on one side (for the Xbox) and VGA + an Audio output on the other. I've tried it out and it works just fine. Yet, the image seems just a bit blurry and, from what I've been told, VGA has a lower quality output than HDMI/DVI so this is to be expected.

I've also learned how to plug both AV and HDMI cables in my Xbox at a time. Every time I've got ONLY the VGA cable connected to the Xbox, I can see the images on my Monitor/TV. Whenever I plug the HDMI cable to the Xbox (w/ the AV cable plugged), the image on my Monitor/TV disappears. It seems as if the Xbox is prioritizing the HDMI video output over the AV one.

So, I was wondering, is there any way I could plug the AV cable to my TV and the HDMI cable to my Monitor while at least one of them displays an image? That way, I could turn on the TV and alter the display options in the Xbox for my monitor till it works.

THANKS A LOT FOR ANSWERING Mister Cerb!

Sorry this didn't help.

I've investigated a bit and solved the issue! Here's what I've done:

1 - Plugged the HDMI-DVI cable to the monitor

2 - a) Turn on the console. b) Press B once. c) Press RB many times. d) Press A 4 times. e) Press DOWN once. f) Press A twice.

3 - Repeat steps e) and f) over and over again till resolution for the HDMI output reached the 1440x900. I've noticed this when the screen stopped being black and showed me the dashboard 8-D

The issue was that I thought that screen resolution settings remained the same whenever I swapped the AV-VGA cable for the HDMI-DVI cable.

Thanks Cerb for helping me! I hope this works for anyone who's got my same issues :)

Sorry this didn't help.