connecting to xbox live via ad-hoc

Hi, 

So I'm not able to connect to my building complex's WiFi since it uses security features not available on the xbox. My laptop and cellphone are able to connect but not my Kindle. 
As a work around that's allowed, I can use an ad-hoc network.  
I'm running Windows 7 and followed the instructions for setting up an ad-hoc network with an internet connection. I also put a password on the ad-hoc network. My xbox can recognize and connect to the ad-hoc. However it fails to connect to xbox live.
My laptop is still able to access the internet when I make an ad-hoc network.
My xbox's ethernet port is broken, it's approaching 5 years so needless to say, I have no warranty and the expected cost of fixing it is too high. I might as well buy a new xbox, but why would I buy a new xbox when I have a working xbox sans ethernet port.

Any help would be appreciated,  
my xbox live gold account is going to waste here

JDEMAN  

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 62 Applies to:

nevermind, turns out you need to set it to WEP for it to work, WPA2 doesn't work

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

FYI. if you ever come across a wifi network that requires you to sign in through a website you can connect an xbox after connecting with the laptop by entering your laptop's MAC address into your xbox , which will make it so that the network thinks you're connecting with the laptop still so you don't need to enter through the website again... good for use in hotel rooms (some make you enter room number or password if you already have paid, after which the website doesn't open upon connection to network. It registers MAC address to the account, therefore entering the computers MAC address into alternate MAC address setting on game console fools the security into thinking its the laptop still.)

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there, TrueViP! This thread is almost 2 years old. I appreciate your enthusiasm to help out others, though! There are more recent threads that could definitely use this advice. Head on over to them and see if you can get them up and running. We appreciate you coming in and helping fellow gamers out. Cannot wait to see more helpful posts like this in the future! :D

Sorry this didn't help.