connecting to xbox live through my phone

Hi

Ive recently tried xbox live for the first time using my Samsung galaxy s3 mini's internet connection(I live on a yacht so it really is the easiest option available to me)

Firstly my nat is strict at the moment,when I first started playing which was two days ago it was on moderate, is there any way of getting an open nat with the phone?

Secondly I lag slightly,about 0.5 of a second at the best of times,is there any way that I can reduce that?

I checked my phones internet speed with speed test and got an avg download speed of 7 mbs, an avg upload of 1,6 mbs and an avg ping of 65.

Any help would be muchly appreciated

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 107 Applies to:

Greetings SepticFoot!

Using your smartphone as a hotspot to connect your console to the Internet, just creates a lot of headaches. Xbox LIVE is quite demanding, therefore, it is recommended that you have a stable connection and a decent bandwidth/Internet speed for the best experience to Xbox LIVE. If your mobile phone subscription have some sort of dataplan which if you exceeds, will have a huge impact on your download speed.

[quote user="SepticFoot"]Firstly my nat is strict at the moment,when I first started playing which was two days ago it was on moderate, is there any way of getting an open nat with the phone?[/quote]Your mobile service provider will almost certainly provide you with a "public" address that is actually private to your mobile service providers address realm. Meaning that this address is not routable until it has been NAT'd by your service provider. This network topology, normally, won't bind NAT properly, which preserves the identity of your private endpoint. 

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi taidara

Thank you very much for your answer.

Excuse my ignorance as im not all that clued up when it comes to thing like this,would getting a punlic ip address from my service provider then give me an open nat? Also does the nat rating only affect matchmaking or does it affect gameplay aswell?

I would love to have a wired uncapped internet connection but unfortunately dont have that option available to me..also I have been playing cod black ops and the only real problem I have had is lagging,otherwise everything else is ok,can even hear the other players chatting with each other.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi SepticFoot. If your provider does indeed provide you a "public" IP, an open NAT is not a guarantee. Be wary that if you do this, you will use A LOT of data, and may be capped fairly quickly by your provider. As for it affecting gameplay, your NAT will really only affect your multiplayer experience.

Sorry this didn't help.

I can't see that your service provide would be able to provide you with a public (routable) IP address.

Strict or Moderate NAT will affect your overall online gameplay experience. You have a ping of 65 ms from a basic IP connectivity test. This is a bit high. If it would be around 40 ms as average, then you would be ok (relatively speaking).

I'm sorry, but this network set up is not very suitable when it comes to online gameplay using an Xbox. But as long as you are experiencing this as adequate as it could be, have fun while doing it! :)

Sorry this didn't help.