Connecting to Xbox Live on Windows 8

I am 1 of many who are having problems with this i have went to my internet provider and made sure the ports are open still wont work. I have Norton Security and don't even see anything in the firewall saying it is allowing or blocking Xbox live .What is this address   suppose to look like? Does it need to first exist to be allowed or blocked? 

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

Hey there Rhain! Let's see what we can do to get things sorted.

To start things off, here's a few questions to help us better understand the situation:

1. Are you trying to connect to Games for Windows Live?
  2. Or are you trying to connect your Xbox 360 console to Xbox Live by bridging it through a computer?
  3. If you're trying to bridge through a computer, have you followed the steps in our connect to Xbox Live using a Windows computer in place of a router support article? If not, I suggest working through those steps.

Let us know how everything goes and we'll work with you from there. =)

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I have windows 8 and there is an app for Xbox games. I can download games and it let me create an account through my Microsoft account.  The app says I am signed in and when I go to play the game it says I need to sign into xbox and when I hit connect it then says that cannot connect to Xbox at this time check internet connection. I have all the correct ports open. I have unloaded and reloaded the app. Microsoft said till they have an update to solve this I would have to redo the whole windows 8 because this app is imbedded in windows 8.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi there,

This issue could be caused by either a software conflict or a third party security program being a little over-protective and blocking your computer from accessing Xbox LIVE on your copy of Windows 8.

To test this theory out, can you try to run Windows 8 in what is known as a 'clean boot'.  This guide will explain how: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

You will need to go down the webpage a little and click on + button for the guide for Windows 8.

After disabling your start-up programs, restart your PC and attempt to log into the 'Games' App with your Microsoft account.  If it logs in now without an error, some program in your Windows start-up sequence is blocking access.  However, since every PC's start-up programs are different, you may need to try different configurations to find out what the culprit is.

To re-enable your start-up programs, compete the guide again, but in reverse.

Let us know how you get on.

Sorry this didn't help.