CONNECTING TO XBOX LIVE AT U OF M TWIN CITIES CAMPUS

Hi I'm a freshman living in Yudof Hall on the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities Campus. I'm having trouble connecting to Xbox LIVE like most people that I've talked to about it.  There's a ton of people that live on campus at the U, and I'm assuming also a good amount of gamers who are experiencing this problem too, so if anyone finds anything that works, you should prob post it here.  

I've been reading about it, and here's the main problem: When trying to connect an Xbox to the ethernet jack, it won't connect because "Resnet" doesn't recognize your Xbox's MAC Address as one that has connected through an x.500 username (your @umn.edu email address). A tech support guy in my building e-mailed me a solution that in theory should work, but for whatever reason just doesn't work on mine.... Here's his step by step process, it's worth a try!

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Free-Yet-Temporary Way

On the Computer:
1. Plug your computer into the one of your room's Ethernet ports 
2. Get on the internet and authenticate computer with Resnet by using your school username and password (X.500) 
3. Look up your computer's MAC address (see below if you're not sure how to do this) 
4. Turn on your Xbox 360 
5. Unplug the Ethernet cord from the computer and plug it into the Xbox 360 

On the Xbox:
6. Under the "My Xbox" tab, go to "System Settings" 
7. Go to "Network Settings" 
8. Select "Wired Network" 
9. Go to "Configure Network" 
10. Go to the "Additional Settings" tab 
11. Select the option that says "Alternate MAC Address" 
12. Select "Alternate MAC Address" 
13. Enter the MAC address you found on your computer into the blank field 
14. Go back to the page where you originally chose to "Configure Network" and now select "Test Xbox LIVE Connection"

Tada! You should now be connected to Xbox LIVE. Just sign into your profile, and you'll be good to go for a while. However, if you leave your Xbox dormant for too long, you will be logged out of Resnet's central authentication and will have to repeat this process. On the bright side, you won't have to re-enter the MAC address or anything like that -- it will stay the same! 

Finding the MAC address

Mac
1. Open "About This Mac" from the Apple menu in the top left
2. Click "More Info..."
3. Click the "Network" tab on the left side
4. Scroll down until you see where it says "MAC Address:" which should read something like this:

g8:2i:14:7b:d8:hb

Windows
1. Open "Network and Sharing Center"
2. Go to "Local Area Connection"
3. Click on "Details"
4. On this page, the MAC address will be listed next as the "Physical Address", and will look something like this:

00-5H-3B-G9-42-5B

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

For me, I try this and it fails to connect to the internet, which I'm really confused about... Any additional methods/comments would be greatly appreciated! If you want to talk to me in person, just ask for my email address or phone number. Thanks!

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 38 Applies to:

I think you would be better off talking to the IP administrator for the campus.  It's very likely they have a system in place to not allow gaming systems as they can take up a significant amount of bandwidth from researching students if there are enough of them hooked up.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

What browser are you using? I was having the same trouble and I am a PC user that primarily uses safari. I had registered on safari and it just would not connect. Then I opened Internet Explorer and it asked that I register even though I could use Safari just fine. I logged in with IE and tried it again and viola it worked

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.