connecting to computer

I tried to connect my xbox360 to my pc with a crosswired network cable. The pc sees the xbox and the connection. After a while thousands of packages have been send both ways, so there is a connection. I set up everything like explained on this site. But when I try to connect to the pc from the xbox, I constantly get the error that no IP address could be assigned. I even tried to use static IP addresses in the network connection IP4 settings of the computer, and use those IP addresses on the xbox but still it can not connect to the computer. And if I run network analyzes on the pc (with automatic IP addresses) there is also an error stating that the IP configuration is not good. On the pc even the MAC address of the xbox is recognized, DHCP is working, and there is an IP address assigned to the connection. I also completely disabled the firewall as a possible solution, but still the same error. I have a mobile internet stick on the computer through which I want to get the xbox online.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 16 Applies to:

Hi there WartedGlobe992, are following the official guide? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978618

You should follow the above guide exactly and be sure to reset the connections settings on your computer to their default values before you follow the guide.

Some things to take note:

1.  Mobile Internet may have slow download speeds, it depends on your location.  You will likely also have high latency which will cause lag when playing online. Unfortunately, this is common problem with this type of connection and there is no way to correct for this.

2.  Your connection may have a either a Moderate or Strict NAT type.  Since the NAT on mobile Internet is set by the provider it may not be possible to get a fully open NAT.  This won't have any effect on the speed of the connection, but it will cause problems connecting to online games.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

are you trying to use the internet your PC has and share it to your xbox?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Please look at one or both of these guides for help on this set-up:-

support.xbox.com/.../win-computer (Microsoft Official Guide)

www.unofficialguidetolive.co.uk/.../ics-bridging-guide (Unofficial Guide if you are still struggling)

Thanks

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes I am trying to use the internet connection of the computer to connect the xbox to xboxlive, but the xboxs fails the first step of the connection. Although connecting to windows media center on the computer succeeded, directly connecting always fails with the error of no IP address being assigned.

And yes I followed the guide here at support.xbox.com/.../win-computer but the other guide I didn't know. Gonna read it. As I tried the same connection on someone else's windows7 computer with t same error, I thought this was a common problem where there was a common solution.  

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you ShadowmanUK. The unofficial guide is very extensive and already discusses some issues not mentioned in the official guide. Couldn't try them out yet but am positive about them working. But is also mentions something in the beginning, It says that with the xbox369 you need a straightthrough network cable instead of a crosswired one like with the xbox1. It says also that the network cable which comes with the xbox is a straightthrough one, while I always thought it was a crosswired one. Does anyone here has experience with which cable is needed, and if the xbox one is crosswired or not?

Thank you all for the responses.

Sorry this didn't help.

You can use either a crossover cable or a straight through cable (you get a straight through cable with the Xbox 360 and Xbox1)

The 360 is different to the original Xbox in that its network card can detect what is on the other end of the cable and "crossover" the connection itself if needs be even if you don't have a crossover cable

So in short you can use either a straight or crossover cable for the 360 both will work

Glad you found the guide useful, hopefully you'll be up and running soon

Sorry this didn't help.

OK, that's smart from xbox. Didn't know that. Finally I got a connection. It seemed to be a win7 issue. It kept assigning some other IP than the one mentioned in the guide. So I installed XP on a disk, followed that guide, and at the first try got connected. Run into another issue though, which this site doesn't give an answer to. So maybe someone here knows. I played the xbox offline with a profile. Gave my xboxlive profile here the same name. But there is no way to connect with and to an existing profile, from within the xbox. You can only sign up (for a new profile). And when I use my live credentials it says that that live profile is already being used by another gametag. Is there anyway I can use the offline profile with the online profile, because else all the offline results would not be in the online profile? Thanks for the help so far.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Glad you are now connected :o)

Hmm strange that Win 7 didn't work, I find that works better with ICS than XP does to be honest, anyway if it works and your happy maybe leave it then.

As for your profile question, just to be clear I think you are saying:-

You've been playing offline with a profile and racking up points, you have created a live profile and now want to transfer those acheivements across, is that right?

I'm afraid that is not possible, you could have promoted your offline account to an online one though as long as the gamertag was still available but if you've already created an account online with the same gamertag that option sounds lost to me now :|

Sorry this didn't help.