Connecting to a few people only works over a different host

With some people I'm not able to connect EXCEPT anyone else than him or me hosts the party, game, whatever.

IP: 192.168.1.41

Subnet: 255.255.255.0

Gateway: 192.168.1.1

DNS1: 192.168.1.1

DNS2: 0.0.0.0

I once tried to do it manually with the following DNS settings and it worked for one day, the next day it stopped working.

DNS1: 192.168.2.1

DNS2: 208.67.222.222

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

One of my friends has IP 10.0.0.5 and gateway also something 10.0.0.xxx

See Technet

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Dear LoG Commander

First Off i wanted to say Welcome to the xbox live forums :)

now i would recommend contacting the support for them to view this more in dept but for now i recommend not using dns or trying something else.

your friends information has nothing to do between you and him. its between your ISP and make sure you dont use the same info as your friends because that might be causing the issue.

now if you want to get immediate support concerning this issue and contact xbox support well here is the link:

support.xbox.com/.../contact-us

OK.

Sorry this didn't help.

> One of my friends has IP 10.0.0.5 and gateway also something 10.0.0.xxx

The IP addresses which you and he see are 'non-routing' addresses en.wikipedia.org/.../Private_network which only appear behind a router. They don't have anything to do with the problem, which instead shows as a slow 'ping' time.

> I once tried to do it manually with the following DNS settings and it worked for one day, the next day it stopped working.

The DNS servers were a coincidence, although if you ever have a problem with your DNS according to Test Xbox Live Connection, I would instead use Google's free DNS servers: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Instead, let's consider the nature of the problem. You need to connect quickly to not only the game servers but also to every other player. You are ('Player A') and someone else ('Player Z') normally is too far away to connect quickly to each other. But if 'player B' has a quick connection to both of you, then 'B' becomes the host and the match can proceed.

If you reduce the time required to for you or 'B' connect with an Internet Connection tuneup, then you won't see the problem any more. A sequential power cycle is the first step in clearing connection problems, and the order and timing of the steps is important to success:

1) turn off the Xbox and unplug the power supply cord from the back of the Xbox then

2) unplug power from the router (Some folks have a combination modem-router AKA 'gateway' or only use a modem with no router. If either, skip steps 3 & 6).

3) unplug power from the modem.

4) Wait at least 5 minutes then replug the modem/gateway power.

5) Wait 'til the light on the front of the modem/gateway which says BROADBAND, ONLINE, READY, CABLE or DSL is on solid (not flashing), then plug in the router. If you have a gateway instead of a modem and router or a modem with no router, then when that light says it's ready, skip to step 7.

6) Wait until the WiFi light on the router is on; you may not use WiFi, but it's still a good indicator your router is finished booting up.

7) Plug in and turn on the Xbox.  For more background on Ports, see whatismyipaddress.com/port

If the problem persists, please send us the info we need from forums.xbox.com/.../155724.aspx so we may work on this further.

Sorry this didn't help.

Greetings LoG Commander!

Appreciate if you can post up the make and model of your modem and your router. Thank you!

Sorry this didn't help.

I wonder, why I can not connect to SOME German people, when I live in Switzerland. This really isn't a far distance, I haven't asked the guy for his connection yet. However, I often have no problems connecting to Americans or Austalians but sometimes have problems to connect to Europeans (like Germans or Poles). How would you explain that then? The distance it can't be, I think more it's about the connection to the servers...

See Technet

Sorry this didn't help.

Today I was able to connect to him without any problems.

See Technet

Sorry this didn't help.

> The distance it can't be, I think more it's about the connection to the servers...

Precisely! If the connection to a gamer in Stuttgart has to go through Berlin, but you have a more direct connection to someone in Erfurt, then the gamer in Erfurt would be quicker to connect to than the gamer in Stuttgart.

Sorry this didn't help.

And how about one of my american friends does the host, who I and the other player (who I can't connect to) can connect to that American player?

See Technet

Sorry this didn't help.