Connect to Xbox LIVE through Mac help! (with reward)

I'm in a college dorm, and I can't connect to my router using my xbox's wifi adapter, and there are no ethernet ports in the room.. so I'm trying to connect to LIVE through my computer. My friends have been able to do it successfully using their PCs and a program called virtual router. Macs, however, don't have that feature, for some reason, and I have to do it all manually...
So I want to connect to xbox LIVE through my mac, and I have to do everything manually because it's a mac (inb4 macs suck)

On my Xbox I've connected to the Network but I can't connect to the Internet, and every time it doesn't work it says to check my DNS settings. And I'm using some random router at my school and I can't seem to get the DNS server address from them. I've tried a variety of tactics including several commands in terminal which basically ends up in an automated response generated from my school which gives me two different DNS numbers (also: why do they give me two?). I've tried all of these numbers and they don't seem to work.

However, there's another thing. Several tutorials tell me to set up an Ethernet connection on my Mac, and under that connection I should choose "Manually" under "Configure IPv4" (whatever that means..). To save you from my ignorance, here's a pic..?

But, after about 30 seconds of connection to the Ethernet network, my internet stops altogether, and I can't reach any sites on any of my browsers. So... I don't know what that's about..

tl;dr version:
I think it comes down to finding my school's DNS server address.. but I'm not entirely sure as I'm not very tech savvy with this stuff..

All I can offer as a reward for anyone who gets it working is a 14 day xbox live access code.... yeah...

I've posted this on other forums so i'll give the code to whoever (if anyone) gets LIVE to work first :P (I'll update the thread if it happens)

If you have any other questions feel free to ask. Thanks.

PS: I'll <3 you forever and ever if you get this to work. I'm out of ideas at this point, I just wanna play some battlefield again :C

Thanks again.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 14 Applies to:

Turn on the computer, then the console, and log in to the desktop.

Click on the Apple logo on the upper left corner of the desktop, and then click "System Preferences".

Select 'Sharing'.

Highlight "Internet Sharing" from the Service section on the left (do not check the box yet). Choose the connection you are sharing from (usually the Airport) and then "To computers using:" (usually Ethernet).  

Select "Start" once you have checked the box for Internet Sharing.

Now we need to go back to System Preferences and click on Network.  Select the network connection that is being shared (usually Airport) and click on "Advanced...".  At this point you need to click on ethernet and change from use DHCP to use DHCP with manual address.

We need to note the "Router" address since this will end up being our manual DNS server on the Xbox.

Now we will enter manual IP and DNS settings in the console.

Use the guide on the following page to find the necessary manual IP settings: ICS - Manual IP Settings

(Note that the IP Range must be different from that of the Airport connection.  So if the Airport has an IP Address of 192.168.1.101, the range we set on the Xbox must be 192.168.2.X or 192.168.0.X)

IP Address - This should be set within the range that we found on 'en0' in Terminal (in the example above, it is 192.168.2.2-254).

Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0

Gateway - This should be set the same as the address that we found on 'en0' in Terminal (in the example, 192.168.2.1).

Enter in Manual DNS settings:

Primary - This should be set the same as either the "Router" address (not 'en0') we found under Advanced on the Airport or the DNS servers on the DNS tab on the same screen (in this example, it is 192.168.0.1).

Secondary - 8.8.8.8

Back out and run the Xbox Live Connection Test.

You should be connected at this point with no errors except a Moderate NAT warning; this seems to be a symptom of Mac ICS and has no known resolution yet  (if the NAT is Strict, try Port Forwarding the computer).

Note: If the connection test gives the error "Can't Connect Using a Static IP Address" or "DNS Error" after the initial test it may be a good idea to power cycle the network, including the computer.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the quick response, but I'm confused about the IP Address and Gateway part... you mention using en0 in the Terminal.. but I don't quite follow. Could you help clear that up or link me to the original tutorial?

PS I tried talking to customer service and they said to try this: support.xbox.com/.../win-computer

Does anyone know if there's a version of that for the Mac??

Thanks again

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi!

Are you using 802.1X? Meaning that you have to enter username and password to have access to your school's Internet connection? You don't have to manually configure IPv4. You can choose to configure with DHCP. Can you tell us exactly how you have configure this set up. Thank you!

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, I have to enter a username and password.. Sorry, I don't really know what that amounts to as I'm not very tech savvy when it comes to this stuff... Usually I just hit detect automatically and it (magically) works haha.

Sorry this didn't help.