Confused on Sign In

I have an XBOX Free account and just added a code to get 1 month free access.  Everytime I try to do something it says I need an XBox Live account.  It says it free to sign up etc..  When I try to sigh in with my existing account I go to my Avatar and it says signed in.. so I sign out and try to either sign up or sign in with my existing account and it fails.  

Are there different XBox accounts? 

Am i doing something wrong for the sign in?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

Hello mwnance,

You have a free 1 month xbox live membership and it is a trial right?

If it is a 1 month trial, then it isn't a Gold membership, and will not give you access to Gold features. It will only grant partial sample access to certain features. That goes for all trial memberships 2 day, 14 day, etc.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Sorry, but your descriptions are not clear to me what you do on what platform. So could you please explain more clearly? I'll write in your question where it's unclear to me:

[quote user="mwnance"]

I have an XBOX Free account and just added a code to get 1 month free access. 

[/quote]

Where did you add the code? Did you add it on your console, or did you add it here on the Xbox.com website? Your Gamertag appears golden here on the website, but shows no Gamerscore, is that correct, that you haven't achieved any gaming progress on your account?

[quote user="mwnance"]

Everytime I try to do something it says I need an XBox Live account.  It says it free to sign up etc.. 

[/quote]

What are you trying to do where? Are you trying to do stuff on the console? If you use your Gamertag on the console, and you're on the first page, where you can start a game on disc in the upper left corner, right next to it should be a large space. Does it say to join Xbox Live, or does it show "advertisements" for other games and Add ons?

[quote user="mwnance"]

When I try to sigh in with my existing account I go to my Avatar and it says signed in.. so I sign out and try to either sign up or sign in with my existing account and it fails.  

[/quote]

How does it fail? Do you get an error message that the Live ID email you try to use is already connected to a Gamertag?

[quote user="mwnance"]

Are there different XBox accounts? 

Am i doing something wrong for the sign in?

[/quote]

Since I'm not 100% sure because I can't figure out from your description what exactly you try to do where, I only assume, that, yes, you do have in fact accidentally created two separate Gamertag Accounts.

It probably went like this:

You created a Gamertag on your console and played for a bit. Then you decided it'd be fun to try a multiplayer game, and wanted to use a Live Gold code. Since it's a royal pain to use the on-screen keyboard, you went to this Xbox.com website, and signed in with your e-Mail address.

This however created a second gamertag, separate from your console gamertag, and you now redeemed the Gold membership to that account.

Under the impression you had Gold on your console now, you returned to your offline console Gamertag and tried to play online.

Since the Gamertag is not (yet) connected to Live, you will always get the error message to Join Xbox Live. If you do want to join Live, you probably enter the email you used here on this website to redeem your Gold card, and this fails, because that e-mail already is connected to a gamertag already. The one you see here in the upper right corner or to the left of your posts.

Did I suspect correctly?

If so: There are two possible solutions: (EDIT: This forum somehow doesn't know how to do nested ordered lists. Think of the second 1 and 2 as sub-points for the first point 2).

1. "I don't care about my console Gamertag, since I just bought it. I have only a few hours of gameplay, and can do it again"
    In that case, press Guide, then X, and use the "Download Profile" option. Enter your Live ID email and password, and your console will download this online Gamertag from Xbox.com to your console. Complete with your one month membership, but without your Game progress. You won't be able to access your savegames with that online Gamertag!
  2. "Oh, woe is me! I have played months upon months, and do NOT want to lose my Game progess!"
    In that case you will probably lose your one month Gold membership. So you need to decide what's worth more to you. Your Gold membership (in this case go to "1" above) or your Game progress.
    If you opt for the Game progress, it now depends on your desire to keep that e-Mail address:
  1. "I don't care about that email. I just made it to go on Xbox.com."
    Then simply create a new email at http://www.hotmail.com and use that when you go to your console and use the "Join Xbox Live" option. DO NOT create that email and account on Xbox.com, as it will then create another Gamertag for you, that you don't need!
  2. "I need that email. It's dear to me, as it reminds me of me mother!"
    In that case you need to also create a new Live ID email like at "2.a". Then download the Gamertag you accidentally created as in "1."
    With the downloaded Gamertag signed in, go to Settings, and then the Account tile in the lower left. In "Your Information" is an option to exchange the Live ID of your Gamertag. Change the currently used Live ID to the newly created Live ID.

Now wait for 30 days, as a recently "freed" Live ID email can't be used on a new Gamertag for the next 30 days for account theft protection.

After 30 days, sign into your old console Gamertag, and use the "Join Xbox Live" option to bring your original Gamertag online.
    Then buy a new one month Gold Membership.

And that's it.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank You...

I believe you are correct that I have 2 online accounts.  and i do have a lot of progress under 1 that I want to keep, but I am ok with downloading a second profile.  I really wanted it just to explore what xbox live has.

I created my account on my computer.  I am not sure if the account I am signed in with on my consol was created on the console or the computer.  It automatically signs in.

However when I try to download my profile it says invalid emails and password but I have confirmed and can sign in with that email and password on my computer.

So Still do not have access to xbox live

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="mwnance"]I am not sure if the account I am signed in with on my consol was created on the console or the computer.  It automatically signs in.[/quote]

Well, signing in automatically, and signing into Xbox Live are two different things.

You see: You can create an offline Gamertag on the console, and it can be set to automatically sign in, which only means that as soon as the console started up, that account is ready to play. Otherwise you would need to choose your gamertag from a list (if you have multiple Gamertags for several family members on your console for example).

But even if you're signed in on that Profile, that doesn't necessarily mean you're online connected to Live with that Gamertag.

[quote user="mwnance"]However when I try to download my profile it says invalid emails and password but I have confirmed and can sign in with that email and password on my computer.[/quote]

Can you please check if your console is able to connect to the Xbox Live service (which again is a bit different from also connecting a Gamertag to Live. See it like a PC that can connect to the Internet, but you still have to sign into your email account to read your mail).

To check this, please do this:

Start your console. Then go all the way to the right to the Settings hub. Then go to the System tile in the upper left. There go to the network settings, and finally there do a connection test to Xbox Live.

If that test properly works, your console can connect to Xbox Live properly.

But that doesn't mean your Gamertags are automatically connected to Live (just as you can surf the internet, but you can't read your email until you sign into your email account).

So, if your console properly connects to Live, use my instructions above to either download your profile from the Live service (make double sure you use the correct Live ID email and proper capitalisation on the password), and/or use a different Live ID email and use the "Join Xbox Live" option on your console Gamertag to connect that to Xbox Live.

Please report back with any questions or problems that may arise.

Sorry this didn't help.