Concerned Patron

Having owned both the original XBOX and the XBOX 360, I can say that I'm fond of the platform.  However, in light of the recent news regarding the specs and performance of the XBOX One, I am concerned.  I realize that most launch titles will not be an accurate reflection of what either console will be able to do - that will take some time for developers to get a handle on.  What I am worried about is the fact that the specs on the XBOX One are clearly inferior to the PS4 and, given the nature of the industry, they will likely become outdated relatively quickly.

This being said, I worry that I will receive my Day One Edition XBOX One (currently pre-ordered) and then Microsoft will realize the poor performance of their device and subsequently release an updated/upgraded model not too far in the future.

I'm not sure if anyone at Microsoft reads these forums, but I know that myself and a number of other folks need a legitimate response to this concern or we're cancelling orders and either buying PS4s or at least waiting a long while until the truth is born out.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 6 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

always the possibility of upgrades, early adopters usually pay more and late adopters usually pay less and get a superior product

Just being someone passing by i would say to keep this in mind....almost everyone under the sun stated that the Ps3 was also more powerful than the xbox 360, and at the end of the proverbial day, almost all the multiplatform games turned out bettter on the xbox 360, which to me, gave the impression that is more of a matter of the developers optimizing the hardware the best way they can and not necessarily the specs in the box.  (Examples - Skyrim, Fallout New Vegas, Half Life 2 the Orange Box)

I'm starting to get speechless...believe it or not.

I understand your concern.

However... I think gamers in general are focusing too much on specs when they should be focusing on exclusives, Online service and overall experience.

I'd be lying if I said I don't care that some games aren't running at 1080p... but it's not everything. This console is capable of producing stunning visuals. I've seen them in person, but more importantly it's very capable of producing fun and a better user experience through great games and a brilliant UI.

Just my two cents.

People that jump into next gen consoles early well it's a risk ya take I'm afraid.  PS4 seems to have the edge at the moment.  Better off waiting though to really see how good this gen really is.  Still say there's a lot of life still left in the PS3 as yet. So much stuff will be missing from next gen at launch. It's not really worth even thinking next gen just yet.

So was the 360 so why did you stick with it?? apparently your young so i'll give you the best advice I can..If your focused on graphics and graphics alone you'll want the PS4..if your in to gaming as a whole than stay with the XBOX brand. The ultimate decision is up to you and you should never make your decisions based on what anyone but yourself thinks.

Any major upgrade to the hardware would render the previous version obselete, I'm talking about changes to the RAM and video card (which I believe you are hinting at your post). Could you imagine developers having to work to 2 different versions of the same console, and not to mention MS having to work toward updates too.

I'm not an expert but I just don't see major upgrades like this a possibility.

Please, explain... how does the Xbox One have poor performance?  Are you a developer?  If the answer is no you're most likely never going to use a full 8GB of ram, let alone 1/2 the power of the processor provided.  People are paying for consoles as an investment with the hope technology will catch up and fully utilize the hardware.

God another resolution thread go and search on the 10 other ones back in the pages. The developers need to get a handle of the x1 like all the other previous systems.

They won't alter a consoles hardware post launch beyond die shrinks, case changes, and possible rear port changes (oversea tv adapter styles maybe). Don't you imagine Sony would have tossed some more memory in to the PS3 if post launch hardware modifications were a realistic option? Beyond that I'll just copy and paste what I said in the other thread that more or less mirrors your "concerns"

Bottom line, the PS4 is more powerful. If you're a primary console gamer I seriously doubt you'll notice the difference of 1080 native vs 1080 upscaled without playing PS4 and XB1 side by side or hunting for comparisons online. Both systems will produce great visuals, with the PS4 having better visuals. Fans will take any difference and treat it like its way bigger than it is. PS4 having better graphics doesn't make Xbox One graphics bad, it just means PS4s are better. If you can't handle someone's pretty game being prettier than your pretty game then PS4 is probably your best bet.

Personally I think the Xbox will have the better overall user experience. Look at each systems features and games lineup and choose which system offers what you want. Try and avoid the fanboi pissing contest whenever possible as they tend to try and cloud judgement away from what matters, and that is simply which system has the games and features that will fill your free time with fun. Whose version is the better 1080p, has more grass or better aliasing really doesn't matter at the end of the day if you're having fun.

As far as being outdated, you should take a peak at what's inside the PS3, and Xbox 360. These new systems are 10x more powerful than current gen. They won't compete with PCs no, but in the wonderful world of consoles they'll do great. Consoles aren't made to be cutting edge hardware, they're closed systems that developers can take full advantage of. Developers being able to code for specific hardware setups is an advantage that can't be ignored, it's how The Last of Us looks as good as it does on a 256 MB GPU from 2006 (basically a Nvidia 7800).