Component video problem.

Well after finally finding the firmware to allow me to use HDMI on my ancient Olevia TV, I've discovered that component looks magnitudes worse. It's not a subtle difference simply from HDMI being superior, it's a night and day difference. The mere fact that my pos camera could detect it further proves my point.

Hdmi from pc on left, and component from xbox 360 on right.

There seem to be no settings that can replicate what HDMI looks like. Brightness and contrast seem to be at their plateau of effectiveness, color temp is as accurate as I could get it to D65, and the service menu seems to be only half functional.

Is there anything I can do? Will resetting the osd options fix this? I refuse to pay $150 for a component to hdmi adapter.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 7 Applies to:

OSD reset didn't fix it, but a factory reset from the service menu itself did.

Quick question if you're outputting HDMI from your PC and the 360 is outputting through component how can you compare them? Shouldn't you try Component 360 and then switch over to HDMI 360 for a correct comparison? Also is that a game running, a screenshot, or video? If you have an older 360 which you don't make clear and want HDMI I would trade in your console towards the purchase of a new one instead of a run around method of a converter.

My 360 doesn't have HDMI. It's a screenshot of an Alien Wallpaper I downloaded. I know it's not a proper comparison, but the differences were so huge, it's irrelevant. The main purpose was to calibrate my display color temperature over component to D65 by hand by comparing my already great looking hdmi settings.

The black levels were crushed, the whites were clipping, and the color was completely different even with the same settings.

I don't know how this happened, but resetting the entire system from the hidden service menu fixed most of the problems. The only issue now that remains is the entire image over component (now that I can see it for what it really is) appears to have a slight filter, or "fog" over it, most noticeably when pure black is displayed. A mild grayish green is causing blacks and color to be dulled out somewhat.

I can't seem to correct this since I've tried every setting at this point.

Any advice?

On the old forums there was a long thread about the apparent visual artifact of the 360 crushing blacks as compared to the PS3 or a PC. It didn't seem to care if the signal was carried over Component or HDMI and there was a lot of possible reasons, but nothing was really testable. If I remember right the HDMI signal seemed to compensate better because of the gamma correction curve that is possible with HDMI reporting back the display information back to the console or the color format being used.

[quote user="Smiling Cat"]

On the old forums there was a long thread about the apparent visual artifact of the 360 crushing blacks as compared to the PS3 or a PC. It didn't seem to care if the signal was carried over Component or HDMI and there was a lot of possible reasons, but nothing was really testable. If I remember right the HDMI signal seemed to compensate better because of the gamma correction curve that is possible with HDMI reporting back the display information back to the console or the color format being used.

[/quote]

Was the problem ever fixed?

I popped a DVD in and ran it in 1:1 mode for comparison. This is what i see :

It seems that my TV isn't converting the 16-235 color space correctly, so it's always looking for 0-255. This results in gray blacks and washed out colors, my exact symptoms.

I found some obscure, poorly labeled control functions in the osd which fixed the problem.

Topic closed.