Completely unsatisfactory customer support.

I have auto-renew turned off, and when my Live runs out now, Xbox don't let me online at all until I give them another payment. Not even as a Silver member. I bought a one month subscription on the 30th of November, and Xbox ended up billing me for TWO months at £12, and then my Xbox today told me I'd be getting kicked off again on the 16th of this month. So I just spent 45 minutes on the phone to customer support, at one point being put on hold for a quarter of an hour! It transpires that Xbox had charged me retroactively for periods where I couldn't even get on Live at all, even as Silver! They also took double the money from my bank account that I authorised, which nearly left me with £35 over-draft charges. Eventually Xbox conceded this was wrong and have mollified me by giving back the extra £6 they shouldn't have taken in the first place, offering me some free games, giving me the two weeks at the end of December I paid for in the first place (although this has yet to be updated on my profile), and offering me a free month of Xbox live. Well, the follow-up email makes absolutely no mention of the free month offered, and the "free games" are free microtransaction-funded games such as Happy Wars, which are already available to all Xbox Gold customers, and which I already have downloaded anyway. I consider this to be a very poor level of customer support, particularly when you take into account that Xbox took double the money I actually authorised them to take from my bank account, and then tried to give me two weeks of Gold service, for the price of two months.

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 39 Applies to:

It sounds to me like the extra charge was the past due balance from your suspended account.  The authorization for that was given back when you signed up for the renewing membership.  It sounds like you may have been backed up from about two cycles if you received one charge that was double the normal monthly amount, which means it had some catching up to do.  But then it sounds like Customer Support wanted to go the extra mile and bump off some of that charge.  The whole free month thing may take a few days.  If nothing shows up in your email by then, I'd recommend calling them back.  Not sure about the free games thing.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Why would I have to pay for a service I wasn't able to even remotely use at the time? I pay one month at a time. I didn't authorise them to take the money for more than one month, but they took two, and I had to fight to get it back. I don't think they've gone the extra mile at all, it took me 45 minutes to get back what was rightfully mine in the first place.

Sorry this didn't help.

When you sign up for any membership from the console or the website, it has automatic renewal on by default.  If I recall correctly, it states such in the second sentence in on the description of what you're purchasing on the Confirm Purchase page; this I mention so you know where to look for it in the future.  Selecting "Confirm Purchase" is thus where that authorization comes from.  As to not having been able to access the service, the system doesn't monitor that.  It's on a timer.  It stays on until you tell it to do otherwise.  Since you had those issues, however, Xbox waived part of the subscription charge you paid toward that, sending it back.  That's where I stated they went the extra mile, because the Terms of Use for Gold memberships states they're not refundable.  The fact that you got a refund was special.

Sorry, however, to hear that it took 45 minutes to get sorted out.  That's a lot of time.  If you want to buy one month of Gold at a time in the future, you should purchase the Gold as normal, then go to xbox.com/account and cancel the auto-payment for the Gold, so it's set to switch off at the end of the cycle.  That should prevent a billing situation like the one you experienced.  If you have any kind of technical issue that prevents you from logging in and accessing the system, I would recommend checking with Xbox Customer Support right away to see about resolving it.

Sorry this didn't help.

^This.  If you want to pay month-per-month you'll need to buy prepaid codes instead of using the subscription on the website.

It sounds like the agent escalated to get you the free stuff, most likely they went far beyond what they are actually allowed to promise and the escalation people said no.  If the agent directly promised it then that's a problem on both sides, but if they said they would escalate to see if you could get the free stuff then it's just you getting an answer.  I've seen it go both ways.

Sorry this didn't help.