Complete beginner - Xbox Live help needed!

Hi, My son has recently been given an Xbox live wireless adaptor and 3 months Xbox live membership. We only have an Xbox Arcade with 256MB. We can connect to our home network ok, however, the Xbox then tries to install a 190MB update - which it obvioulsly can't! This would appear to stop us accessing Xbox live correctly. Is it simply a case of buying extra memory, e.g. a 8/16GB memory stick (as seen on Amazon) - is it as straightforward as that?

Many thanks for your help in advance

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

Yes, you can use any USB Flash Drive which has minimum 1Gb on it ;).

On your Dashboard, go to System Settings, then go to Memory. Plug in your 1Gb (or more) USB Flash Drive. Now, you should see it on the list. Select it and press A. Click on Configure Now. It will erease everything on the USB Flash Drive, but you will be able to use it as a memory storage option for your Xbox 360. Don't worry, you can revert the USB Flash Drive Storage Device to a normal USB Flash Drive.

Warning, you can only use two USB Flash Drives and use a maximum of 16Gb of them (E.G, you have an external Hard Drive of 250Gb, it will only use 16Gb of it). It means 32Go of total USB Flash Drive storage :P.

I don't know if this works as you just bought the adapter, so if you didn't connect to LIVE before, I'm not sure if you have the right Dashboard to use USB Flash drives, but you can give it a try.

Hope this helped,

SilvergabLIVE

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Brilliant and helpful answer, thank you very much - though just realised another problem - and perhaps my ignorance of all things Xbox - the wireless adaptor is plugged into the only USB slot available (i think??), which means I'll have to purchase a hard drive, presumably? 20GB drives available on Amazon seem reasonable (don't want kids playing too much Xbox!)

Many thanks again,

Regards

Si

Sorry this didn't help.

The Old Xbox 360 has 3 USB Ports, this means one on the back and two on the front.

The new Xbox 360, the slim, the same as I have (Xbox 360 S), has three USB Ports on the back and two on the front, but mine didn't require the Network Adapter as it was Built-in.

I presume you have a older Xbox 360, this means you have 1 USB port on the back and 2 on the front.

You have 3 USB ports ;).

Cordially,

SilvergabLIVE

Sorry this didn't help.

I would recommend going to Gamestop (EB Games if you are in Canada) and purchasing a minimum of 20 gb hard drive for saves etc.  It saves on using usb slots for future use.

Sorry this didn't help.

Dear SilvergabLIVE & Onyx62is,

Thank you both for your answers. Was not sure what the slots at the front of our Xbox were - you're right, we do have an older one (much to my son's annoyance!), so I reckon your USB stick idea will work! We are in the UK so might just stick with Amazon. It's only a few pounds difference between stick and external drive - but these days every penny counts, so will have a little think before buying!

Thanks again for your quick and helpful responses,

Regards,

Si.

Sorry this didn't help.