Come Back, Legally

Hey,

So, I've been through two Xbox 360 Cores in my life. When the first one RROD'd, I got a new one swapped out under warranty. A couple of years later, my second Core succumbed to the same fate and I ended up buying a PS3   ಠ_ಠ

After throwing away my Core, I couldn't bring myself to getting rid of my games. A friend of mine is looking to sell his 360 Elite and it's going at a really good price, so obviously I want to jump at the chance!

My problem is this:

I'm buying an Elite that I know he's had the firmware upgraded so that he could play pirated games. He's even been through the process of (unknowingly) installing an update - which returned the drive to stock - and then getting the drive replaced so that he could install cracked firmware again!

I'm looking to buy this Elite, but I'm also wanting to get back into Microsoft's good books, and go back to doing things the "legal" way. I can fully appreciate that I'll be buying a unit that's got a voided warranty, since the stock drive has been replaced. But is it possible to return this console back to stock so I can at least use Live services without being blacklisted?

Any advise would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 9 Applies to:

If you want to get back into Microsoft's good books, then you would be better off buying a brand new xbox 360, that way you wont run into any problems in the future.

Xbox Ambassador.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Any modifications to the Xbox 360 console not done by a MS certified repair service, which is only through MS themselves, will result in a permanent console ban from accessing the XBL service.

If you truly want to get back into good graces with MS then you need to go to a reputable retailer and buy a brand new console. Saving a few bucks buying your 'friends' modified console will only cost you MORE in the long run when it is caught and removed from using the Live service forever.

Sorry this didn't help.

So, you're certain that if I run an update and return the firmware to stock, my console will still be banned?

How can that be possible when they can clearly see I'm using stock firmware?

Sorry this didn't help.

As stated above, using an xbox 360 with ANY unauthorized modification is against the TOS and is subject to action taken by microsoft. Penalties include (but not limited to) banning of said console and account banning. To prevent yourself from running into this problem, buy a new console from a reputable dealer.

Sorry this didn't help.

Stick with PS3. Don't pay a $50 yearly subscription for a device with a 50% failure rate.

The only way you'll stay in Microsoft's "good books" is if you give them more money for another console. Those are the only two answers I can give you, one is obviously more expensive and prone to failure than the other.

Sorry this didn't help.

@Damian, If you modify a PS3 you will violate the terms of Sony too, and may end up in getting your console or account banned. I don't see any difference in the way Microsoft handles it.....

@Adam, As suggested above if you really want to be safe and stay safe from being banned, you should buy a new console / 2nd hand from a trusted dealer instead of a modified console.

Sorry this didn't help.