Cloud gaming

Hey all,

I've been reading a lot of comparisons on the old t'internet, about the PS4 and Xbox One - 9 times out of ten, it is noted that the PS4 is slightly more powerful than the Xbox.  BUT, what is hardly mentioned is Microsofts use of cloud, and as they put it, ever evolving worlds.

To the techy folk here, can the cloud really make a difference to the Xbox One's performance, or is it a bit of a gimick?

Cheers

S

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

This should be an interesting debate, which has already been discussed in some length in the 'Xbox One' sticky thread if you can be bothered to trawl through the many pages to find it.

-

In theory it all sounds very fancy and wonderful but my personal opinion is that you need a very fast internet connection speed to utilise it in any significant way. And in our country, the average Joe doesn't have the required internet speed to reap any real benefits of cloud computing. It is something that has already been around on the 360, with cloud saves. Maybe it will blow us away in the future, but for now I'm of the impression that it is just a gimmick. Don't forget that the PS4 will also utilise the Gaikai cloud gaming service in 2014 so they won't be left behind if it does impress.

-

I'm sure Cosmic Thoughts will fill us in on the technical side of things as he knows more about that than me.

Thanks for the reply Primo.  Reason I'm asking, is i'm still undecided about the next gen console I'll pick up.  I don't want to miss out on something that may be a game changer - but it sounds like both sides will have this ability (I'd never heard of Gaikai before).  

Well its already benefited Duva Dan I believe who had to replace his console but all his info and game saves were in the cloud so could just be sucked back into his new console (sure he can confirm).   Thats gotta be a major benefit as most of us will have suffered hard ware failure in the past and lost game saves and yes you could do cloud saves on the 360 but it wasnt automatic.  Doesnt Forza already use it for the Drivatar system and that is absolutely brillant beats racing standard AI any day of the week and certainly adds a competitive element as a Driveatar from your friends list (or even a random forum name) goes past you!   I was cursing a few from here last night!   Personally Crabbit I see the One as a game changer, all the stuff you have heard about it melts away when you have it up and working,   Kinect is just superb and the games I have played have been amazing both graphically and performance wise.  And using my voice to control Netflix is never going to get old.

Cheers Genchy - how much are MS paying you :)

LOL!! I wish,  just a genuinely happy happy Xboxer right now amigo!  

[quote user="crabbiT Scot"]

Hey all,

I've been reading a lot of comparisons on the old t'internet, about the PS4 and Xbox One - 9 times out of ten, it is noted that the PS4 is slightly more powerful than the Xbox.  BUT, what is hardly mentioned is Microsofts use of cloud, and as they put it, ever evolving worlds.

To the techy folk here, can the cloud really make a difference to the Xbox One's performance, or is it a bit of a gimick?

Cheers

S

[/quote]

I don't think it's a gimmick, Microsoft according to reports have already pumped 700 million into The Cloud service and that's rumoured to double by the end of 2015. Sony are also spending millions on their own version of it so I'd say both companies are taking it seriously.

I believe with the Cloud like the consoles as time goes on it will evolve lets say, get better. I know Forza 5 uses it to download your friends Drivatars so you race against them in single player, sure only a little feature but I really can't express just how much better it makes the game so I'm personally excited to see what the future holds.

Cheers for that Lofty. I'm really in a dilemma over which console to buy, both have pros and cons, and this decision is vital as the missus will only let me buy one lol!

The PS4 officially comes out here on 20th dec, so I would only have 3 weeks to wait (400 odd quid though, so no real price comparison). I need to wait until I visit uk in April if I want an XBone though! Then there is the issue, that if the xbox goes wonky here, I'm screwed lol! (And the fact I need to hand carry it back -  an there won't be any games in shops here). But on the other hand, I've loved gaming with the 360, and there is nothing convincing me it won't be the same for the xbone!

Be prepared for a barrage more questions in the next couple weeks :)

@ Crabbit ...

Tricky situation mate, one I wouldn't like to be in lol. Feel free with the questions though :-)

[quote user="crabbiT Scot"]To the techy folk here, can the cloud really make a difference to the Xbox One's performance, or is it a bit of a gimick?[/quote]So at work here, I've been deploying a PaaS solution (VMware Horizon) and SaaS solution (Microsoft APP-V - and playing with the features in Horizon) and the benefits for business have been huge. I know some users have offloaded multiple process heavy tasks from desktop PC's into VMware Horizon. whilst the Xbox one has a solution close to IaaS - this is arguably a better solution for offloading resources and processing power.

Also, NVIDIA have demoed cloud computing being applied to graphics and shading, and ATI is not far behind.

In short, yes. Given we can see the industry adopting cloud computing, and we can see cloud computing improving graphics, there is no reason why the Xbox One cannot do the same.

If there's one thing I hope the whole 'cloud gaming' thing does more than anything, its ensuring a smooth online experience. I know not many publishers are taking advantage of it yet, but if it helps alleviate some of the issues that have been plaguing the likes of Battlefield 4 lately, then i'll be more than happy!

Now EA need to sort their crap out and let DICE take advantage of it ASAP!