Clearing System Cache, does it help with performance problems?

I've had my Xbox 360 Slim for almost two years now. I've downloaded tons of demos, trials, updates, I've installed and uninstalled many games, I've downloaded a lot of DLC, avatar items, themes, etc. and recently my Xbox 360 Slim's performance has been less than stellar. Everything seems to take a long time to load... I was curious if clearing my system' cache would improve anything at all.

Someone told me it might be my internet (how?), but I have a 25Mbps download/5Mbps upload connection, so I don't see how it can be my internet...

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 31 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I've had the same problem, while playing Forza 4 & Guide Menu is open..  The Starting theme & FMV kicks in & the Guide Menu locks up for a second or two... This has nothing to do with the LIVE service & more to do with the HDD...

[quote user="LostKauz"]

I don't think a slow Dashboard has very much to do with the Storage Device. More of it's a combination of being an Xbox LIVE "thing" and/ or one's ISP. I've had both tremendously slow Dashboards and Dashboards that are very responsive all within the same Version of that Dashboard.

Some have been worse, while others have been better but overall, it's not really a Users End issue that they can truly address.

[/quote]What he said. I've had smooth dashboard operation as well as sort of a lagging or chugging of the dashboard. I'm not sure if it's the internet or my system but as far as I know, nothing is wrong with my 360 hardware. It might just be Xbox Live loading some things in the background.

After reading all of this, I decided against both formatting and clearing the system cache. I was leaning towards cleaning the system cache, but after what LostKauz said about it possibly erasing achievement tracker info, etc. I changed my mind. I'll just deal with a bit of a sluggish dashboard.

All good mate.. I needed a nap & was a bit straight forward towards you...

What I was trying to say about the formatting of the HDD etc..

If the Power Supply isn't powering the HDD properly.. The HDD platter will spin slowly & the consoles FATX will be fragmented out of place/sync & formatting is the only option to defragmenting the disc platters, as the XBOX dashboard hasn't got a defrag feature etc..

Defragmenting will prolong the life of the HDD too & keep your XBOX data safe from file corruption + keep system performance optimal..

Just to note; The Console Power Supply, is the main reason for XBOX/360 RROD issues & the real console failure rate is low, because the console is actually fine... Regularly check the power brick case heat & try to keep it off the floor & away from dust etc..

Sorry, I should have clarified. A "slow" Dashboard in regards to the functions of Xbox LIVE (Buffering/ Messages/ Invites and such). Not as a "general" term for the overall performance of the Dashboard.

Black Wolf XCI.. If your Power Brick is too hot to touch & you can smell an electrical smell... Unplug it from the wall + XBOX & call XBOX Phone Support for a replacement.. Seeing how it's about 2 years old.. You might have to pay $35 + P&H for a new one.. A faulty or near faulty Power Supply, can cause low voltage to the HDD & console Circuitry... [SATA HDD powered straight from power supply circuit]

The fan on the 360 Slim power supply, can cease with dust & heat up.. You will also hear a loud noise sometimes too...

This issue can also be mistaken for the consoles optical drive or fan being loud...

Why wouldn't it be the HDD..?? The OP has stated, that the console is slow to start up & dashboard is slow..

The console is not connected to XBOX Live! or any ISP connection, in the system Boot State...

As I have mentioned.. The Dashboard is stored & embedded on the HDD now & isn't embedded into the systems cache etc [Dashboard is too big for onboard caching]...

I don't think a slow Dashboard has very much to do with the Storage Device. More of it's a combination of being an Xbox LIVE "thing" and/ or one's ISP. I've had both tremendously slow Dashboards and Dashboards that are very responsive all within the same Version of that Dashboard.

Some have been worse, while others have been better but overall, it's not really a Users End issue that they can truly address.

I just thought about something... Have you checked your XBOX Power Supply [Power Brick]..?? This could also be the cause of the console, being slow to start up too... There have been Power Bricks known to output a lower rectified voltage/current after high use & consoles became sluggish... Sorry about not thinking of it earlier..

I agree with you LostKauz.. But, i'm also using the new dashboard on the old console & Clearing the cache does very little, as the dashboard is now embedded on the HDD & not embedded in system cache etc..