Child Account Catch 22!!!

My daughter has had an Xbox gamertag for many years, now she finally has a chance to join Xbox LIVE!  However, being a child, they force you to CREATE a NEW account, so that they can charge the parent $.50.  Now I cannot figure out how to migrate her original gamertag, gamerscore or achievements to this FORCED new account. 

I had no issues last year joining my son to Xbox Live... no PC only (new) account creation, just him redeeming the code (setting up an email) and me verifying my parent status.  This new system is HORRIBLE... charging for a new child account then not being able to keep all their gaming history?

I've been a long time supporter of Xbox consoles and Xbox LIVE.  Making it so confusing and difficult for long time child players to join LIVE is inexcusable!  I think my family and everyone I know will be cautioned against your systems and your (crappy) services in the future, FAR too much work to get enjoyment from something SO expensive.  I am VERY upset!

I would appreciate a prompt remedy.

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 18 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I am having the same problem. I don't really play games on Xbox too often, only when I'm fooling around with my kids. They finally bugged me enough to let them join Xbox Live so they can play games with their friends. After trying to join Live via the Xbox console, the kids got the message explaining a parent had to create the account on the website. I followed all the steps, confirmed that I was the parent, and I paid the 50¢ to verify I was a real adult. The problem now is that I can't find a way to connect the child account on the Xbox console to the new Live/Xbox account that I was just forced to create. I've been looking for hours, reading forum posts, and searching the Xbox support website. But, there really isn't any clear info on how to do this. Obviously, I'm not the only person with this problem, and I think it's ridiculous that there isn't a clear, simple, concise explanation or set of instructions regarding this issue on the Xbox 360 FAQ page or support site or whatever. I don't want to tell my kids they have to start all over from scratch and lose the history, achievements, awards, etc that they've built up. That would be a nightmare, and honestly it's just plain ridiculous if that's really the only option. Do you have a teenager in your house? Can you imagine the disaster tornado that could come from telling a hormonal teenager that everything they've achieved over the years must be forgone if they want to play online with friends? There has to be another way. I refuse to believe that a concept as simple as connecting a previously offline Xbox profile with a newly created Xbox.com account is impossible. It can't be impossible. It should be a simple 1-2-3 step process (the first 2 of which I've already completed!). Please, can someone who knows the real deal here help me get my kid's offline Xbox profile connected to the new child account that I was instructed to create (and pay 50¢ for).

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Does the new child Live account have its own Gamertag?  If not, then I think you should be able to use the email and password associated with that when upgrading the offline profile on the console.  When it gets to the point where you're entering an email you want to use, try using the child email you set up online.  From what I recall of the account creation process, it should link the profile to the Live account at that point.

If you created the profile through xbox.com, and it gave the child account a random Gamertag already, you'll likely not be able to use that Live account unless you move that Gamertag off of it, which can take 30 days.  It may be simpler to start over and create a new Live profile, although this would mean having to re-authorize as a parent, which would cost another $0.50.

If I'm wrong, and you created a Live account for a child, and it has no Gamertag, and the console still isn't letting you associate it, could you post what the console says when you try?  I'm curious to see if this part of the process has changed.

Sorry this didn't help.

Proceeding as per the online help guide, my daughter signs in with her currently played profile.  Then goes to Join Xbox LIVE.  After filling in info, using the newly "purchased" email and password, it says "This account already exists on another device, would you like to sign into another account?"  The ONLY option then is OK.  NO, this is NOT OKAY!

PS: Xbox did automatically assign her new profile a random gamer tag.

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey Prymreq,

The problem here is that you may have entered this e-mail into a different profile when setting up. Sometimes this will happen. You can try to make another MS account/Email to use. I have experienced this problem myself and I have felt the exact same way, so making a new email and placing it as her MS Account email attached to her gamertag should do the trick!

If this doesn't work then please, Private Message me and i'll see what else I could do or Contact Xbox Support at support.xbox.com !

Sorry this didn't help.

She DID not ever have an ONLINE account before.  There was NO email associated with her gamertag.  The console would not allow assigning an email to it because she was a child, it required me to go to a PC and create this new account/profile.   So, YEAH, because I HAD to make this new profile her email is of course linked to it.  That makes sense, but why couldn't this ALL be handled through the console... without EXTRA accounts (payed for) being created?

Sorry this didn't help.

I didn't WANT to create a new profile for her... it REQUIRED me to.  The console would not allow her to join because she was a child.  

So, now... because XBOX forced me to create and pay for an account I cannot use, and associate an email with it (hers) I have to set up an entire new email for her, a new profile, so Xbox gets paid..?  WAIT... I fail so see how this helps correct anything about KEEPING her achievements and gamerscore.

Sorry this didn't help.

Okay, i see your angle... still sucks she has to abandon her REAL email address (she is a child after all) and make up a new fictitious one JUST for this crummy service.  Teaches children that multiple identities is the ONLY way to get things done.

Sorry this didn't help.

Like I said, I had NO issues just a year ago with my son.  Now I've paid for things I'll never use, created accounts I don't need and now MORE work working around what Xbox should ad DID already have streamlined.

Sorry this didn't help.

Agree with ALL the above and will never purchase another Xbox

Sorry this didn't help.