checkout a few screen shots of windows 8

it looks great taken form my  pc

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Looks like the dashboard cept its on a CPU. When is it supposed to be released?

You can get the consumer preview now.

-

It's interesting to see that you can now launch Xbox 360 games through your PC, which is likely where the rumour that Windows 8 will play Xbox 360 games came from.

-

Really the feature jsut lets you stream games from your console to your PC.

I hope you can switch off Metro, for the regular desktop.

You can press the Windows key on your keyboard to go to a regular desktop but they have removed the start menu.

-

Metro is essentially the start menu replacement.

I can't see how you could run Xbox 360 games on Windows 8.  PCs use Intel and AMD processors that run on X86 architecture, Xbox 360 uses PowerPC architecture.  In lamen's terms, these two systems are basically very different.  The only way to play an Xbox 360 game on a PC would be to have the PC emulate the Xbox 360.  Easier said than done.  Emulation of the Xbox 360 would take a huge amount of processing power, currently it simply can not be done.

There will be games for Windows 8, and Games for Windows LIVE will be integeral to the OS.  These games will have to be reprogramed for the PC, but would have achievments and show up on your Gamertag.

[quote user="Obsessive Power"]

I can't see how you could run Xbox 360 games on Windows 8.  

[/quote]You don't.

As I said above you are controlling your 360 through your PC. Essentially streaming the game content from the console to the PC. Edit: Though reading that first post back I wasn't too clear.

Think of it like OnLive just over a local network. 

I guess MS wan't happy enough turning the Xbox into a mini-PC... They're now turning PCs into Xbox conduits. Why bother even making the Xbox?

I can't really see the point in it myself. You'll need the 360 to be on to do all of this, so why not just use the 360?

[quote user="voteDC"]

I can't really see the point in it myself. You'll need the 360 to be on to do all of this, so why not just use the 360?

[/quote]

Exactly.

The same goes for all these Xbox apps. I never seen the need for having these apps on a device that doesn't exaclty perform them all too well, when there's already other devices that run them much, much better. Now they're merging these devices. What is the point?

Sorry VoteDC, I didn't read your post correctly, forgive my ignorance.  Just like you've said, I don't see the point either.  If they release a good number of arcade type games for Windows 8, that integrate with LIVE though, that would be cool.  But otherwise, yeah, streaming the Xbox 360 to a Windows 8 computer seems a little bit pointless.   Me thinks I need to do a little more research on this lol.

I do like the different look of Windows 8, but I'm concerned about the Win 8 Marketplace.  Sure this is needed for the tablet version, as it will be in direct competition with the iPad and Android tablets, but how about us poor Windows 7 and Vista users, will we get a Marketplace?

I haven't taken the plunge into a tablet computer yet, but I do aim to buy one later this year.  I'm still more tempted towards Apple than MS though, simply because I already own an iTouch and I can use the same apps on an iPad.