Chat security issue

I can play XBOX One online with a friend, but when I try to chat I get a message "Your privacy settings prevent chat with some people". I check the privacy settings for chat and it is set to friends. I only have this issue with the one friend. He recently switched from 360 to One. Another switched from 360 to One and I have no problem with him. I think that it must be something with how it recognizes him,but then why do I get a message that it is my privacy settings? Wouldn't it say something to the effect that it does not recognize him? Thanks.

Question Info

Last updated October 19, 2018 Views 19,688 Applies to:

Hi there, I would suggest following the steps at the bottom of the link to check exactly what your settings are, do it through the PC so you can see what you have set for both 360 and Xbox One: support.xbox.com/.../xbox-one-manage-privacy-and-online-safety

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I am having problems with talking to one of my friends, but when I sign is as my dads account it works perfectly but when I sign in as mine it doesn't work, I tried restarting my console and going offline and then online but also it sais to my friends that im offline when im online and I cant join any games, does anyone know how to sort it out

Sorry this didn't help.

I join a party with any of my friends and says your privacy settings prevent chat with some people go to it have it set on friends but still do sent work

Sorry this didn't help.

Please fix this--

Sorry this didn't help.

Im having this problom to when is it going to be fixed

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Everyone,

Seems most of you are experiencing the same problem with chatting with friends.  

There is a privacy setting that would impact this, not only on your own console but for those that you are communicating with also.

You can view all the relevant information and troubleshooting for this issue here support.xbox.com/.../cannot-change-my-privacy-settings

Generally speaking this is the main cause of these issues with voice communication.  Given that your Mic is working fine and you can communicate with some people, this generally points to another person needing to change these settings also.

Within the link above, there is also troubleshooting for accounts that may have been set up as a minor account previously.

Hope this helps all of you, if not please feel free to respond with any error messages.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

hello this doesn't help at all.....i have the exact same problem as of today

i am an adult not a child with a locked up privacy settings xbox i am an ADULT! my own xbox with everything deadlocked open, no mic issues, reset internet several times if this is the case and still no change. restarted the xbox properly to clear the cache and still no change

any sensible suggestions on solving this issue ?  please  

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey, guys! Sorry to drop in here and do this, but this thread is over a year old. If you need assistance outside of what DeathAvengerIII has provided, please post up a new detailed thread so that our community can work on helping you out. Thanks for understanding!

Sorry this didn't help.