Changing your email associated with your gamertag

There is a clear cut way to do it on the Xbox 360 but unfortunately it is broke and refuses to connect to the WiFi. Is there a way to change your Microsoft account on the Xbox One? Long story short I need to release my dads email (was used so he could pay for the Gold) so he can make a new Gamertag for it and then attach my email to the existing profile, but I dont see any option to mess with your email at all on the One. Reason for this is that we've run into a problem with most games on the One being a single save file only, unlike the 360. He would just made a new save file or played a game I didn't want to play. We got Need For Speed Rivals and even though it was his birthday gift he can't play it because then I wouldn't be able to. So it kinda sucks for him that he has to sit there watching me play his game.

I heard about changing your alias on your live account. Would that work with two different people? If someone could walk me through how that would be possible with my situation please go ahead.

If all else fails then we'll have to get a new 360 and have to wait the 30 days after signing in :/

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

Hey SilverTippedIce!

I am sorry to hear about the account issues and your Xbox 360.  Just to make sure that I understand you correctly, are you trying to remove your dad's email that is attached to your gamertag so that he can create a new gamertag?  If this is correct then it is possible to accomplish.  Keep in mind if you remove your dad's alias, it will take 30 days before he can use that alias to create a new gamertag.  Also, any balance that is associated with the alias you are removing is not transferable to the new alias that you add/create.  You can make these changes following the steps below.

Try these steps to change the alias on your account:

• Sign into account.live.com with your current Microsoft Account.
  • Select Aliases on the left pane.
  • Under Account aliases click the button to Add alias.
  • Select the radio button for Create a new email address and add it as an alias.
  • Enter your desired username and click Add Alias.
  • After you create the new alias, you can remove the existing alias.
  • Once you have removed your dads alias, you can set the new alias as the primary.
  • Click account aliases.
  • Click make primary under the alias you want as your primary.

Please let us know if we can assist further and we will be standing by.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Those steps sound good, but isn't the account on the Xbox One console that the Son is playing logged in with his Dad's email? Once Dad's email gets removed from the Son's account, will the Xbox One console freak out?

Does the Son need to login to the Xbox One with his new email address? And will that create a second account on the console with the same gamertag but different email address? Eventually that duplicate account will need to be deleted?

About the gamertag, is that the key to being able to save/transfer all the progress you've made in different games?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there SirupyBoot57950!

Please go ahead and create a new thread if you haven't already.  This way you can receive support specifically tailored to you.  Be sure to include the details of the issue as well as any troubleshooting steps that you have tried.  Thanks in advance!

Sorry this didn't help.