Changing profiles within the same Live account?

I bought my XBOX a month ago and have been playing, saving games, ect. I already had a Windows Live account, but my XBOX was not connected to it. In order to play, I created a profile on the unit for myself and one for my wife. Today i connected an ethernet cable so that I could connect to XBOX Live. Since I already had a Windows Live account, I was able to log in on my PC and see that I already had the free version of XBOX Live.  So I connected the ethernet cable, went through the setup, and it asked me to create an avatar. But i already had an avatar for my profile! I was not given an option to choose on of the current avatars, so I had to create a new one. I logged into my Live account, and of course it connected this new profile to my current account, creating a gamertag.

But all i wanted was to log into my free Xbox Live account with my current profile and avatar. I deleted this newly created profile from my XBOX but that name is still associated with my XBOX Live account online. Is it not possible to associate my current account with the profile I already had? It is not allowing me to log into Live from the profile I wanted to use.

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

[quote user="ComputingFaun08"]

I bought my XBOX a month ago and have been playing, saving games, ect. I already had a Windows Live account, but my XBOX was not connected to it. In order to play, I created a profile on the unit for myself and one for my wife. Today i connected an ethernet cable so that I could connect to XBOX Live. Since I already had a Windows Live account, I was able to log in on my PC and see that I already had the free version of XBOX Live.  So I connected the ethernet cable, went through the setup, and it asked me to create an avatar. But i already had an avatar for my profile! I was not given an option to choose on of the current avatars, so I had to create a new one. I logged into my Live account, and of course it connected this new profile to my current account, creating a gamertag.

But all i wanted was to log into my free Xbox Live account with my current profile and avatar. I deleted this newly created profile from my XBOX but that name is still associated with my XBOX Live account online. Is it not possible to associate my current account with the profile I already had? It is not allowing me to log into Live from the profile I wanted to use.

[/quote]

This is the crux of your problem.  When you deleted that new profile, you only deleted it from your Xbox 360 console, it still exists in on the Xbox Live service.  There is no way to delete it from there.  What you need to do is the following:

• Create a new Windows Live ID (or use another one you have)
  • Recover the gamertag that you deleted This link will show you how to do that.
  • Change the Window Live ID to your newly acquire WLID This link will show you how to do that.

Now your main email address is available to use on the account you want it for

• Go into the (offline) account that you want and select "Join Xbox Live".  It's important that the offline account is signed in when doing this.
  • Now enter the WLID that you want for that account.
  • If everything has been done properly your WLID will now be on your offline (now online) account

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.