Changing my gamertag to a new one.

So I want a new gamertag so I enter it on the "enter new gamertag" screen and it tells me that it's already taken. I then wanted to message the person for fun and tell them that I want their gamertag... and it says the gamertag does not exist. I then logged onto xbox.com and checked to see if the gamertag really does not exist... and it says there's no record of it ever existing... so why can't I change my gamertag to this one? I WANT THIS GAMERTAG AHHHHHH

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 6 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

The name may have been used on another Microsoft service, such as 'Zune' or 'Games for Windows Live'.  Or the name may be taken with different spacing in the word. For example, if I wanted to change my name to "X FeieR" (with a space), I can't, because you have "XFeieR" (without a space), and the system does not recognize the difference in the 2.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

some one could have had name like tat then changed  gamertag like you were going to .

Sorry this didn't help.

I tried to get my old gamertag and it said it was already taken, but when I try to get it with no spaces, it lets me. Please explain that one to me Zen Like Calm :P

Sorry this didn't help.

Nevermind Zen Like Calm, I got the answer from an XBox rep. Apparently spaces ARE recognized by their system, despite so many claims by people on these forums. :P

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="Zuumma"]

Nevermind Zen Like Calm, I got the answer from an XBox rep. Apparently spaces ARE recognized by their system, despite so many claims by people on these forums. :P

[/quote]This has nothing to do with what "people on these forums" are saying.  Take a listen to Major Nelson's Podcast #389 (not the #403 on the right of the screen) from 1 hour 33 minutes in.  "E", Eric Neustadter, The Operations Manager of Xbox Live has stated exactly what I did.

Here is a verbatim transcript of what he said:

[quote user="E"]

So, I'm going to use you (Major Nelson) as an example.  So, people will ask "Why can't I have 'MajorNelson' as a gamertag, with it being 'MajorNelson', no space in the middle?  Because I looked on xbox.com, and there is no gamertag called 'MajorNelson', I don't understand."  The reason for that is you (Major Nelson) have "Major <space> Nelson".   When we go to create a gamertag, for purposes of pattern matching we take out the spaces.  We don't there to be a 'MajorNelson' <no space> and a 'Major <space> Nelson, because it's confusing about who's actually the 'Major Nelson' who works at Xbox.

So, I've got a number of these questions with, "I want <this> gamertag, why can't I have it?", and I've gone and looked, and that's what it was.  It already existed with the combination of with or without spaces.

[/quote]

Sorry this didn't help.

Listen I don't get the space thing, What if Your gamertag Is ILikeSpoons, are you saying I LIKE SPOONS and I LIKESPOONS and ILIKE SPOONS are all taken? That doesn't sound right at all.

Sorry this didn't help.

There Is more to It when you try to change your gamertag and you are unable to and there Is currently a non existing account with the gamertag you want. Someone could have already had the gamertag you wanted and they could have had a complaint filed on them for having a inappropriate gamertag. If they were to been forced to change there gamertag to something else, then you can not change your gamertag to the certain gamertag that was banned.

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="AbdiVanPain"]Listen I don't get the space thing, What if Your gamertag Is ILikeSpoons, are you saying I LIKE SPOONS and I LIKESPOONS and ILIKE SPOONS are all taken? That doesn't sound right at all.

[/quote]"I Like Spoons" is a real gamertag actually.  That is exactly what I am saying.  Because that gamertag exists, those other combinations are not available.  

Sorry this didn't help.

ZenLikeCalm

Well that can be added to my pile of disappointment with XBox's Support then. Also, that does not explain why I can have my old gamertag with no spaces if the one with spaces in unavailable. In fact, I tried changing the first part of the name before the space to multiple other words and it would not let me have them. I find it hard to believe that every variation of the second word was used. But it IS possible. Still, how do you explain, given MajorNelson's great wisdom, why I can use that name with no spaces?

Sorry this didn't help.

I know this is off topic, but..

@Zuumma Were you ever in KoG a couple years back? Just wondering because I had a friend with that gamertag a while back.

Sorry this didn't help.