Changing languages

I'm based in Portugal and set the Xbox up according to that location.

It actually forced me to set up as Portugal otherwise I couldn't use my Portuguese credit card.

I want everything to be in English though. Why can I not set everything to English?

Some of the stuff is, but not all of it.

It's odd that so many bits of software get this option right and on Microsoft Xbox it is impossible.

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

You can change the console language under System Settings > Console Settings > Language and Locale. This won't change everything though; some things are based on the region of your account. Does this help out?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I have a similar issue - bought an xbox in spain, set it up in english language initially, with spain as the local.

Have changed the local to UK and yet the main menu is still in spanish.

The migration options are useless as there is not one that is in english - and vendors of forza 4 claim the game is only in spanish!

Do i now have a useless console that is not in my language? or, is there a workaround? There does not seem to be a straight forward answer on the forums, microsoft, or anywhere for that matter.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey Bortak! So what region is your account actually in? You can check this by visiting https://billing.microsoft.com and clicking on "Go to personal information". Some things on the dashboard will always show in the language of your account region, even if you set the language setting differently.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thats the thing, the region is Spain which cannot be changed, as a result, the menus after logging in are all in spanish and cannot be changed - also, I have no idea if I buy a game like forza 4 whether it will be in spanish only (which is useless to me), and it is not possible to change the region of the account.

I wouldn't mind if these things were stated when you set the account up, or even when you bought the console - after all, everything else online is adjustable from a language point of view. It doesn't help either that microsoft/xbox make it as difficult as possible to find anything out.

Sorry this didn't help.

If you are currently connecting from the UK, you should be using a UK account. You'd have to create a new account for this. You can still keep your Spanish account though, and transferring the licenses to your new console will let any account on the console play most of the content, so you won't lose it. I'm sorry for the confusion.

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok, I think I might not have explained it quite well enough here:

I am english, and live in Spain, and don't speak enough Spanish to be fluent.

I bought the console in Spain.

I set up the account in Spain

I am connected in Spain - and never go to or connect in the UK

If I create a new account I have the following questions:

How and where do I do that?

Will I be able to transfer my profile and progress to that account?

I have just purchased a 12 month membership for my live account - can that be transferred in the process? If so how?

If not - do I have to buy a new membership for Live gold?

Sorry this didn't help.

OK, so the thing is to have an account where the region matches your physical region (in your case Spain). This sounds like what you have already, so you don't need to create a new account afterall. Now, for the language thing, some content will always be displayed in the default language of the region, but changing the language/locale settings should change most of the Dashboard to the desired language. Is there any change in language if you set this to English?

Sorry this didn't help.