Changing gamertags

Hi, for quite sometime now I have wanted to change my gamertag, it was only recently that I thought of what I wanted to change it to. Just today I tried changing my gamertag to the new one I wanted but it was already taken. The name of the gamertag is "TranceDemon". So I decided to go search on the website to see if I could find an original owner. I used to search bar to no avail, then I tried to send the gamertag a friend request. However, when I did this it said that the gamertag does not exist. Therefore, I am curious to know if this account has been banned and the name is no longer usable, or if I can change my gamertag to the one specified. If there was simply a problem with the friend request feature, then I will be more than happy to pick another gamertag, but I would appreciate it if this could be looked into before the sale expires.

-BlueDragon8

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 7 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

[quote user="OveRate x"]

XBOX MODERATOR, I am interested in obtaining the gamertag OveRate my stance is that this gamertag is completely unused by anyone and has basically never been touched when you reply please contact *** Email address is removed for privacy ***

[/quote]

If it says it's taken, then it's taken. It might have been taken on other Microsoft  service such as Zune, so you won't be able to add it as a friend to test it.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

XBOX MODERATOR, I am interested in obtaining the gamertag OveRate my stance is that this gamertag is completely unused by anyone and has basically never been touched when you reply please contact *** Email address is removed for privacy ***

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks Danno I understand it now, thanks to whoever else helped explain it also.

Red no need to get irritated, other systems and companies allow for spacing and capitalization to change whether or not an account is available, I simply had never changed my gamertag and did not know how Xbox Live's worked.

Sorry this didn't help.

OPs and others:  if you are getting the "gamertag taken" then YOU CAN'T USE IT!  I have never understood why that is so hard for people to accept!  There are hundreds of posts like this everywhere and they all end the same way: you can't use it...you can do all the searches on Google, Xbox.com, etc., and you still can't use it!  Make up another!

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="BlueDragon8"]Danno I just don't understand why those can't be separate gamertags, if they logically are all different.[/quote]

The gamertag system effectively ignores the spaces in determining if a gamertag is unique. That's all; the fundamental reason is "that's the way the system works".

For one thing, it would be confusing if there were, say, a zillion "Elite Sniper" tags out there (and you know there would be): "EliteSniper", "Elite Sniper","E liteSniper", "E l i t e S n i p e r", ...

Sorry this didn't help.

Danno I just don't understand why those can't be separate gamertags, if they logically are all different.

Sonic I also have a Zune account, which I used to attempt to add the profile on Zune, and was told it did not exist.

Sorry this didn't help.

BlueDragon read my post again. You cannot add someone as a friend if they are on Zune and you are on Xbox LIVE.

You will have to accept that the gamertag is already taken.

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="BlueDragon8"]Also, do spaces and capitalization in gamertags allow for different ones? For example, if I were to create a John Smith and a john smith would they be the same thing and not be allowed, or would they both be created?[/quote]

"John Smith", "john smith", and "JohnSmith" are all the same gamertag; only one of them could exist. (I've already said that "Trance Demon" exists, which is why you can't have "Trance Demon".) However, if "John Smith" exists and you Search for "JohnSmith" or sent it a friend request, it will not match (because of the space difference), so you mistakenly think it doesn't exist. That's why you have to trust the gamertag system when it says you can't have a name, even though you think you've proven to yourself that it doesn't already exist.

Sorry this didn't help.

I am aware that Microsoft offers other services, and I have attempted to send a friend request to the same name on Zune  and it said that it did not exist.

Sorry this didn't help.

The gamertag system is used on other Microsoft services such as Zune.

You cannot try to add a friend from Zune, so that is why you are thinking it is available, when it actually isn't.

Sorry this didn't help.