Changing gamertag to the "same" gamertag?

My gamertag is currently "like the salt" and I want to change it to "LikeTheSalt".  Is this possible?  I read that gamertags don't take capitalization or spacing into consideration, so when I try to change it, it says the gamertag is already in use.

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 9 Applies to:

No, you cannot. Also you are correct, it will not let you change it to that since it is the same as yours so it will say that it is being used when it may not be used. This is done to stop people from imitating others.

For example:

"like the salt"

is the same as...

"LIKE THE SALT"

and even...

"LiKeTheSalt"

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

You probably could do it if you paid for TWO name changes (1600msp). As in change your name "like the salt" to something like "hatespepper". This would free up your first name, which means you could then change it again to "LikeTheSalt".

I remember a similar solution being posted when someone had two accounts, and wanted to use one of the gamertags on the other account. Just change the name you want to keep to something else, which should free up the name to be used on another account.

This method SHOULD work, but again, it would cost you 1600msp.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hmm. Good idea. Is this confirmed to work, and if so, would my old Gamertag become available immediately after changing it?  Price isn't really an issue. I'm just being a little OCD and want it to match my name used elsewhere.

Sorry this didn't help.

"like the salt" is NOT the same tag as "likethesalt". Spaces do make a difference in a gamertag. Support would not be able to find it if you did not tell them it was spaced. Caps don't matter though.

Sorry this didn't help.

You will need to change your tag to change it without the spaces. Lets say I have the gamertag "s alt" It would reserve the tag salt if it were ever changed and you could then change your GT to salt.

Sorry this didn't help.

@Raett:  According to another thread on the same topic (verified answer by Mister Fitzer) a name spelt the same is the same with our without spaces.

Now, as far as I can find online, this method of double paying does work (it is also mentioned in the verified post linked above), but I can't find any definitive answer as to how soon the gamertag would be available after it's no longer being used.

Sorry this didn't help.