Changing gamertag error (Games for Windows LIVE)

I'd like to change my gamertag (on PC), but I can't do it through xbox.com, supposedly I can only do it through a GfWL game.

So I log into a PC game, open the console and click to change my gamertag in the profile.

It stards loading something then I get the following error:

"Can't retrieve information from LIVE. Please try again later. Status Code: 80004005"

I've tried it a couple of times at different times and I get the same error. I have enough MS points to change it and everything else works fine in the game and profile. So what's the problem?

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 9 Applies to:

I suggest contacting Games for Windows Live Support and have them try and help you change your gamertag for you, if points are there they should be able to change it over just fine. It's quite possible the reason it's not letting you change it is because of a bug/error/billing dispute. Only way to find out unfortunately is by calling them on the phone as doing a search for this specific status code brings up absolutely no results that talk about Games for Windows Live and this specific error. This is the link to contact Games for Windows LIVE Support - www.xbox.com/.../contact-support

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I have the same problem. Only difference is I re-installed my windows. After re-installing my F1 2011 game and logging on to WL my Gametag was changed. How the hell?????????????????????????????????????????????

Sorry this didn't help.

One thing to add, Whoppa, is do you have access to an Xbox 360 console you could try using to change your GT? If so, what error message/code do you get when you try there? Thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.

No, that's the thing, I don't have access to an Xbox 360.

Sorry this didn't help.