Changing from a hotmail account to a gmail account.

Alright forgive me if this is not the place. I'v wanted this for years yet I still can't manage to change it. I want to change my old hotmail account from over 5 years ago to my current gmail account that I have actually used for the past 3 years. I get all my emails etc sent to my gmail, yet my actual xbox gamer tag and login uses my hotmail. I dont like hotmail it's useless and honestly the only reason I log into it is to make sure my live account is still active. How in the world do you change this?

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 62 Applies to:

You can change the Windows LIVE ID associated with your gamertag.

Sign in using your Xbox LIVE gamertag.
Go to My Xbox, and select your avatar.
Go to Account Management, and then select Manage Account.
Go to Your Information and then select Windows Live ID
Select Change Windows Live ID.

Do one of the following:
If you have another Windows Live ID, select Yes.

If you do not have another Windows Live ID, go to Welcome to Windows Live ID, and click Sign up. Once you have another Windows Live ID, select Yes and continue with the next step.
Note Your Microsoft Points balance will automatically be transferred to the new Windows Live ID.
Enter the password for the Windows Live ID that is currently associated with your gamertag, and then select Sign in.
Enter the email address and the password for the new Windows Live ID that you want to associate with your gamertag, and then select Sign in.
Select Yes, change to change the Windows Live ID associated with your Xbox LIVE account.
Select Update Contact Information to update your contact information, or select Done to finish.

Notes
  • When you change your Windows Live ID, your Microsoft Points are automatically transferred to the new Windows Live ID.
  • You can make only one Windows Live ID change for a given gamertag every 30 days.
  • Before you can change the Windows Live ID associated with a child account, you must provide the Windows Live ID information for the adult account with parental control.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

It states that my gmail is already an ID, but when i go to recover the password it states that there is no such ID..

Sorry this didn't help.

Are you using the Hotmail account or the Gmail account to log into the forums currently? What's the exact messaging you're getting when you try changing the accounts on the support page linked above?

Sorry this didn't help.

As of now i'm using a hotmail account to log in. I went to create a new windows ID using my gmail account, however it stated this is already a windows ID account sign in here. I click sign in and then go through the "I forgot my password" detail and it states that this gmail account does not exist as a windows ID.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there Emo! Was this Gmail account ever used for other Live services, like Zune or Games for Windows LIVE? If the service is saying it was already used, then it must have been used somewhere at some time. Could you create a new email or use a different existing one on your account instead? Let me know, thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry for the late reply, I do have Games for Windows Live, but have always just used my gamer tag. The issue really arises when it says it's already an account yet when I go to sign into it it says there is no such account. I really don't want to create a new gmail considering this one is the main one I use for all things. The only reason I use my hotmail is for xbox live.

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry for the double post, however is there anyway I'm able to email or post the two screen shots I have that state that this account is already used, and another that states this account does not exist to further help with my problem? I really want to try and get this issue fixed.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey again! If you are getting both of these messages for the same email address, you may want to contact Live.com support directly to see if they can help you. I'm not sure why you would be seeing both of these messages for the same account. Let me know what you find out from them, thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.

Alright so I could not find Live.com's support information at all. So I contacted xbox live they tried helping me for about 30 minutes stating that my gmail doesn't exist and they really couldn't do much. They told me to contact live.com I couldn't find the info, got a bit frustrated and fooled around with my Hotmail account. Tried unlinking my gmail account from the secondary email list. I tried creating it again and it said there was one but I got an email for verification. So it just kind of worked after that? The service is still buggy it lets me log in but states errors. However I'm able to log in I migrated my new gmail ID over so i'm quiet happy :) now. Thank you Mister Gwyther for your help and to xbox phone support she even stated it was a strange error and I agree.

Problem solved!

Sorry this didn't help.