Changing Email Address of Gamer Tag

I'm sure plenty of others on here have done something similar in the past or are currently going through this tedious frustrating method of changing the gamer tags associated email address.

I'll set out a few points:

1. I bought an xbox 360 years ago. Created a gamer tag on an email address separate to my primary hotmail account (I didn't like the idea of junk).
  2. As stated in 1, I have a primary hotmail account.
  3. I sold my xbox about a year ago.
  4. I now have windows 8 on a couple of devices.
  5. I want my gamer tag associated with my primary hotmail (as windows 8 log in and xbox gamer tags are all linked together now).
  6. I tried to switch it online, but it wouldn't let me.
  7. I logged in with my primary hotmail on the xbox live website to see what the problem was or if I had an account on it already. It went and created an account for me without prompting me.
  8. I found out it is only possible to switch accounts on an xbox, not via any other method.
  9. I have spent months swtiching around the accounts from accounts. 
  10. It is now 33 days since the last action and it will still not let me move my gamer tag from point 1 to my primary hotmail address even though I moved the temp one from it 33 days ago to another live email address.
Why is this so impossible??????? I am so pissed off with microsoft right now. 

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

Further to add.

I have followed this:

support.xbox.com/.../switch-gamertag-to-different-microsoft-account

I have been going round to use my friends xbox to do all of these changes. It has taken me months to get to the final stage.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi there,

-

when you use a windows 8 PC, it will automatically create an xbox live account when one isn't present on the Microsoft Account.

If you want to move your old xbox live account to the email address you are using on the windows 8 PC. You will need to do the following.

1. download the profile currently on the email address (Microsoft Account) you are using on to the xbox 360 console.

2. Wait atleast 30 days.

3. Disconnect the Microsoft Account from your PC user, and don't sign in with the Microsoft Account (that was downloaded on the xbox 360 console in step 1). When it is signed in it might generate an xbox live account while you are trying to move it.

Or leave the PC turned off and any other device using that same Microsoft Account, while executing the next steps

4. Move the xbox live account to another Microsoft Account, to free up your email address you want to use for your old xbox live account

5. Move your old xbox live account to the just free'd up Microsoft Account. And all should be fine.

-

Please check the Notes section on this link as well: support.xbox.com/.../switch-gamertag-to-different-microsoft-account It basically has the same steps

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the response.

Does that also include not signing into my primary account to pick up emails via hotmail.com???

Why is so difficult???

I have tried to log in via xbox.com to see if my primary hotmail account has a gamer tag, and it doesn't. Nothing has been created. I have been very careful to not sign into anything that would reset the 30 day timer.

Sorry this didn't help.