Changing country and region, still not fixed?

So my xbox live account is Irish, I created it in Ireland but I'm living in LA now and guess what my xbox still thinks my account is in Ireland but knows my xbox is in America. So where does this leave me? In bloody limbo. Xbox live content intended for America I don't have access to AND if I try download stuff available only to Europe/Ireland it sees my xbox is in America and yep I can't have that either!

This problem has been going on for years now, seriously fix it already. I can't even buy a Windows Phone 7 phone because guess what EXACTLY the same problem on there which makes the phone useless to me cause I can't get any apps at all unless they're available is all regions! :(

Seriously FIX IT, it's 2011 - people move country all the time, deal with it!

RANT OVER! :-P

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 14 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

The only thing you can do is create a new account, one that reflects your current region. So long as you do not change consoles the other account can share DLC, avatar items excluded. The problem isn't because MS doesn't want us to change our regions on a whim, it is because they are following international, copyright, license, local and government laws.

They are testing Account Migration on the nine newly added regions to XBL and I'm sure once they have all the kinks worked out they will make more regions available to use it.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Creating a new account isn't really any help at all it just makes things really complicated. Yes I can have an american account and download american things but not all of these will work if I try use them with my Irish account which is of course what I want to do seen as my entire friends list is on that account. For example I can download Netflix on an american account, then switch to my Irish account, although there still isn't an option to launch it from the dash I can indeed launch it from quicklaunch via the guide. BUT if I download an indie game (indie games aren't available in Ireland for some bizarre reason) it either doesn't download at all, or downloads but doesn't install OR downloads, installs but doesn't play. Basically if you try do the whole two different region accounts thing it introduces a boat load of bugs. And also you can't do this on Window Phone 7 so that doesn't help at all there! :(

Also saying "The problem isn't because MS doesn't want us to change our regions on a whim, it is because they are following international, copyright, license, local and government laws." makes no sense. It's simple, I started with an Irish account - Irish government laws apply, I move to the US, my account should change to a US account - US government laws apply. That's as simple as it should be. The only reasons inter-government laws should ever be a problem is if you are actively trying to keep your account as one region whilst in another region. This is not the case, I want to change to account region to the US seen as that's where I now live but I can't, there is no option!

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm completely with you on this one Yelpy. This has been an ongoing problem for years that causes several incoveniences like the ones you brought up, and they don't offer an adequate solution. There is no logical reason why MS can't implement region changes for people who have genuinely changed regions. I'm guessing the only thing holding them back is the admin costs involved or something. I'm holding onto the hope as suggested by Temhotabot, that the nine-new-countries thing is partly a trial for the eventual transfers of all regions.

Sorry this didn't help.

Again your only recourse here is to create a US account. There is nothing else you can do at this time.

Sorry this didn't help.

Although this is a massive drag to customers, I can see some degree of reasoning when a customer is moving from a country/region that supports Xbox Live to a country/region that doesn't support Xbox Live. Or when moving from, one legislation to another (say, from EU to Australia or the USA).

However, for residents of the EU to not be able to change their residence to another country of the EU is, in my understanding of the principles of the EU, an obscene violation of the four freedoms.

We might agree to disagree on this one, but my suggestion to Microsoft is to review this policy for residents of the EU. For disgruntled customers, I suggest writing to the EU here: europa.eu/.../index_en.htm

Sorry this didn't help.

Just sent a letter to the EU asking for some clarifications on this. Not trying to be a hard-a** here but I really want to understand our rights and options as consumers.

After reading this: ec.europa.eu/.../index_en.htm

I suggest customers moving within the EU to check out this website: ec.europa.eu/.../contact_en.htm

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="Yelpy"]Also saying "The problem isn't because MS doesn't want us to change our regions on a whim, it is because they are following international, copyright, license, local and government laws." makes no sense. It's simple, I started with an Irish account - Irish government laws apply, I move to the US, my account should change to a US account - US government laws apply. That's as simple as it should be. The only reasons inter-government laws should ever be a problem is if you are actively trying to keep your account as one region whilst in another region. This is not the case, I want to change to account region to the US seen as that's where I now live but I can't, there is no option![/quote]

+1 !

I do understand that if moving from the US to another region I would lose ESPN, Netflix, etc and moving from the UK I would love Sky Player, etc. So I think it is fair that upon migrating an account, the user should be presented with a noticed telling what sort of content he/she would lose.

However, my point about freedom of movement within the EU still stands. Moving from one EU country to another should be allowed. And moreover, USERS SHOULD NOT LOSE THEIR RIGHT TO PREVIOUSLY DOWNLOADED CONTENT (their digital rights management should be migrated).

Sorry this didn't help.

you may consider reading this

en.wikipedia.org/.../Copyright_Directive

Technological measures

Article 6 of the Directive provides protection for "technological measures", any technology device or component which is designed to restrict or prevent certain acts which are not authorised by the rightholder. Member States must provide "adequate legal protection", which may be civil, criminal or a mix of the two. Technological measures are only protected if they are "effective", which means not when they actually work but when they have been successfully implemented. A simple password is thus "effective" irrespective of the ease with which it may be cracked. Rightholders who use such anti-circumvention measures must allow reproduction which is permitted under the limitations to copyright protection [Art. 6(4)]. Digital rights management information is similarly protected (Art. 7).

Sorry this didn't help.

While I am sympathetic to users who move from one country to another, our service only allows for changing an account region if it is being changed to one of the newly added regions. There is no way for your account to be migrated to US. I'm sorry, but as stated above you would need to create a new US-region account.

Sorry this didn't help.

our service only allows for changing an account region if it is being changed to one of the newly added regions.

But WHY is this the case?  If it can be done for some regions, why not others?

Sorry this didn't help.