Changing associated WLID without an XBOX Console

I used to have an XBOX, but my life situation changed and I sold it.

Now I have a Windows phone, and set it up with my preferred, but different, WLID.

I would like to change the WLID associated with my gamertag so that my gamertag shows up on my phone, but I no longer have a console.

I called Microsoft support, but they told me the only way to change the WLID associated with my gamertag was through a console. They suggested I find a friend with an XBOX, recover my gamertag on their console, and switch it that way.

Can there be no other way to do this? Is there really not someone who can do this over the phone? This seems silly.

Thanks,

Jhm7188

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

account.live.com/summarypage.aspx First listed Under Account Summery is your Windows Live ID. Click on Change to its right.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

That does seem similar to the problem I am having. I was considering calling Microsoft, but since you indicate they don't give an alternative way of solving the problem, I guess I have to find someone with an X Box. Thanks for linking to your post to help. I have a potential answer on my original post, but it is not quite what I was looking for if you are interested it might help.

Sorry this didn't help.

That is exactly what I was looking for! Unfortunately, I got this:

"Your Windows Live ID cannot be changed at this time."

I am not sure what this means or why this happend. I even unlinked it from my other account, but no dice.

Any other good work arounds?

Sorry this didn't help.

You can only change your Windows Live ID once every three months.

For the first three months of the accounts life you can't change it. Then it is every three months after that.

Sorry this didn't help.

Nope. To my knowledge, I have never changed it.

Since this option looks like it will change the entire live/hotmail account (rather than just the gamertag), should I expect this account to be wiped clean (since I imagine it will not merge with the other Live account I am trying to switch it to). I am totally fine with that, I just want to know before hand.

Sorry this didn't help.

As in my ninja edit, you also can't change the Windows LIve ID for the first three months of an accounts life, since for some reason the creation of the account counts as a "change" of the ID.

It shouldn't merge anything, as if an email address is already connected to another account you can't use it. To swap addresses between two active accounts you'd need to bring a third into play.

With the first account change email 1 to email 3.

This frees up email 1 to be switched for email 2 connected to the second account. 

Sorry this didn't help.

I actually have three hotmail/live accounts. I tried the ninja edit on all of them, and it did not work for any of them. Whatever the requirements are for changing the associated ID, I don't meet them on any of my accounts (which range from 10 to 2 years old).

This sounds like it is an unresolvable problem unless a phone/web interface magically shows up that allows me to do the things that can be done in the XBOX interface. True?

Sorry this didn't help.

Correct - the above method does not work with Xbox LIVE accounts. The change must take place on the console. I can only recommend what Phone Support already has, which is to find a friend with a console and recover it there and change it. We definitely apologize for the inconvenience.

Sorry this didn't help.