Changed primary email alias, still asks me to log in with username and password

Hey all,

I recently changed my primary email alias from a "@msn.com" account to a "@outlook.com" account, and it's causing me issues with my Xbox One. It keeps asking me for a username/password everytime I log in, even with Automatic Login turned on.

I looked up this issue and saw that a proposed solution was to remove the account entirely from the Xbox and re-enter it under the new alias, which I did and for a time it seemed to work normally again...except as of late last night, it started asking me for my username and password again when I turned on the machine!

Any other ideas? I tried reset my primary aliais back to the old "@msn.com" account but it won't let me, says it doesn't recognize msn.com anymore.

Am I going to need to do a hard reset of the system? Will that affect my or my fiances saved games on the system?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 7 Applies to:
Answer

Hey mate,

A hard reset (also known as power cycle), which is simply (with the xbox on) holding down the power button until the machine turns off, unplugging the power brick from the wall and console, and leaving it for 5minutes, will not delete or remove anything from your xbox. This simply shuts the xbox down completely, and will also shut any programs down that are still running in the back ground. When you push the xbox button, its like putting your machine to sleep, its not completely off, the hard reset coimpletely shuts it down along with all programs. This won't remove anything from your machine.

The other one is a factory reset, which removes everything from your console, and puts it back to it original state. Providing you have logged in to Xbox Live with all the games you are playing, then those save files will all be saved to the cloud, so you will not lose any game progress. You would need to redownload the games, but when you started them up again (providing you have signed into Xbox Live while you were playing them last) the saves will still be there.

I'm not sure whether it will fix the issue or not, but the first option is definately worth trying as it has no negatgive effects, where as the other option will mean having to redownload all your games and apps again. I do a hard reset on my machine every couple of days :)

Let me know if you have any other questions mate :)

Cheers

Denaz

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.