Changed gamertag after adding family member, now it won't let her sign in?

I upgraded to the family pack and then added a family member. She changed her gamertag, but when she hit save the console said there was a problem with marketplace and try later. Then, when she tried later, even though it still had the system generated gamertag on the account, when she tried to change that tag again the system said it would cost 800 points because the tag had already been changed once.

When we went online to try to manage the account, the tag she changed it to is in our profile. But when we go back to the console, the same old system-generated tag is on the console. When she tries to login to that system generated tag, it says that it isn't a valid ID and we need to download the right profile. but there isn't anywhere to go to do that that we can see.

We've turned off the console, logged off and logged on, etc. and the same system generated tag still shows up and it won't let her in.

Help!

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 13 Applies to:

Thanks! this worked for me, after I changed my gamer tag on my computer!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Sorry to hear you're having trouble

My suggestion would be to attempt downloading the profile from XBL.  You can do that by following these steps

You can download your Xbox LIVE gamertag to any console. Here’s how:

Press the Xbox Guide button on your controller (large X button in the center of your controller).

Select Download Profile.

Note Not seeing Download Profile? Press X to sign out of your profile.

Enter the Microsoft account associated with your Xbox LIVE gamertag. If you don’t know your Microsoft account or password, see Find your Microsoft account or password.

Note “Microsoft account” is the new name for what used to be called “Windows Live ID.” It’s the email address and password you use to sign in to Microsoft services (including Xbox LIVE). Find out more.

Now, enter your Microsoft account password.

Note If your account is an Xbox LIVE child account, the parent’s Microsoft account information is required to download the profile.

Select the storage device for your profile (for example, Hard Drive).

Your profile will begin downloading. Once your profile is downloaded, you can choose whether or not you want to require your Microsoft account password to sign into your profile.

There is also a lot of useful information on gamer tags in general at this location

support.xbox.com/.../profile-move-delete

Hope that helps!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.