Change Windows Live Account associate with Xbox Live Issue

What are you trying to do?

When I sign into my main windows live account it is associated to the wrong xbox live gamertag. I want to associate the correct gamertag to my main windows live account and current email. I want to remove the gamertag that is currently associated with my xbox live account and associate my main gamertag.

Any error code/message you are receiving.

Account already associated to a windows live account

Account region

Ohio, USA

What steps have you already tried? 

Followed steps to associate a different windows live account to my current xbox account.

I tried to change the windows live associated with my Xbox Live account. However, when I try, it says that my windows live account is already associated to another account. The account that my windows live is associated to is a gamertag that I could not use. I can't get the gamertag off of my widows live account. Please help.

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 19 Applies to:

By the way, Roadkills You is the gamertag I do not use when on Xbox, it is the account I don't want associated with my windows life nor xbox live account.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hey there! Just to clarify, you have two GTs, and you want the WLID from one (unused GT) to be on the other GT (your main account), correct? This is actually a simple fix: first go to the unused account that has the WLID you want. Just change the WLID to some other dummy email address. This will free up the WLID you want, now just hop over to your main account, and change the WLID to the one you want. You can find steps on changing your WLID in our guide (forums.xbox.com/.../19163.aspx). Does this help?

Sorry this didn't help.

I cant get to my main account without getting to the wlid connected to it!!! I tryed to login online. It has all my info but the wrong gamertag and none of my points!

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there Ash! It sounds like you tried logging in with a different WLID and it created a new account with it. Is there another WLID you could try logging in to to see if that works? If you cannot remember your WLID, you can try contacting phone support (support.xbox.com/contact-us) to see if they can assist you. Let me know if that helps, thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.

thanks for the help but no, I had been using the same WLID as I am now

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey Stellar, do you have any emails for your old Gamertag (the one you're trying to access) available in email at all? At what point did this issue begin? Lastly, do you still have your main Gamertag available for use on an Xbox 360 console?

Sorry this didn't help.

The answers to those questions (in order) are: Yes, a few days ago, and no. But I figured out how to fix it! If I can find a way to get my new account on my console, I can change the WLID from my one now to my backup one and then try to sign in to halloweeny62 (the account I want) with my WLID that I use. I know it sounds confusing but if it works I'll post it. But nontheless thank you for all of your help!!! :)

Sorry this didn't help.