Change of Gamertag - Help Needed Please

Hi, i am trying to change my Gamertag to one that is apparently taken.  The gamertag i am after is "Madcap"  Ive checked on the website and it seems this account has never been used;  it has no gamerscore, no avatar, no rep, nothing.

I have been with Xbox, and Xbox Live since the start, i got xbox 360 at launch, and i pre-ordered the Xbox One Day One Edition right away.  I would like to have a shorter version of my gamertag for the launch of xbox one.  I am quite set on "Madcap".

I am hoping seen as though i have been with you guys for so long, and because this is indeed an unused account, that i can change to the name "Madcap".

Is there anything you can do to help ?

Thanks in advance.

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 135 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi there Marshall Madcap,

-

If a gamertag has already been taken, unfortunately there is nothing that can be done except use either a variation of the name or pick a different name. Microsoft won't delete a gamertag  because another person wants the name, even if it's got nothing on it.

-

The only time I can remember gamertags being deleted, were the old gamertags created on the original XBOX.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I think this account might have been made on the original xbox, it has the gamerpic thats assosiated with the old accounts.

I phoned up and the woman on the phone told me to post here and tech support would look into it.  :)

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi again Madcap,

-

I'm not sure why the Support Agent told you that but they won't delete the gamertag, that's a given. It's not a support issue, it's just a request. A fair one but extremely unlikely to happen. As for the account being created on the original XBOX who knows but it doesn't matter at this point. Those original accounts were deleted and freed up but what ended up happening was people were taking those "new" gamertags and selling them which lead to Microsoft no longer deleting those old gamertags.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for your help mate.  :)

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi there! I was also wondering the same thing. I would like Midnight Ice (no numbers or anything after). That gamer tag is taken and has 0 gamerscore, history, etc. I find it hard to believe that Microsoft won't free up names that have absolutely zero history and obviously aren't being used and won't be. I've been on live for over 7 years and love the service and love Xbox. So there is no chance that old names with zero history can be freed up? If understand if it had any history/use at all, but names with none at all are being wasted and I would assume Microsoft would want those accounts/names freed or deleted. Unless you guys use those fake accounts/unused accounts to make your Xbox live member numbers appear larger than they truly are.

Sorry this didn't help.

first of all Live is NOT the only service that uses the game tag system, windows live PC games and Zune also use it.  so just because it is not being used for 360/One does NOT mean it is not being used.

Sorry this didn't help.

Is there a "second of all?" There usually is if there is a "first of all."  No need to get defensive and a "first of all" attitude Dave. I was just asking a legitimate question after I was also told on the phone from a support agent that it shouldn't be a problem and to post here. They said there was no activity on any platform, but they could be wrong I guess.

Sorry this didn't help.

Well they released a million gamer tags. I hope those people weren't using those for Zune...

Sorry this didn't help.

Most of the time if you are seeing a message saying the GT you want is unavailable, it’s true. One thing to remember is that spaces and capitalization don’t make your GT unique. For example, “Major Nelson”, “MajorNelson”, and “MaJoRnElSoN” are all the same GT.

GTs are also tied to services like the retired Zune service or Games for Windows LIVE. If a GT doesn't exist on Xbox, it might be in use on one of those services. If you try sending the GT you want a friend request and it says it’s not a valid GT that just means it isn’t used on Xbox Live, but it could be used for Zune or GFWL.

I heard old GTs are being re-added. When will "This GT" be available?

There is no schedule or estimated dates for when certain GTs will become available again. GTs are not an on-demand service. They will be available when they are available.

And FYI they cannot tell you if there is any activity

First I could be logging into my windows 10 pc and not buy appd

Windows 8 and above requires a gamertag

Second it's a privacy issue xbox support cannot tell you anything about any account

Sorry this didn't help.

The abode is from forums.xbox.com/.../1988157.aspx

Official sticky

There is no rep or avatar for Windows unless people use the avatar app and since app purchasing isn't mandatory neither is activity

Sorry this didn't help.