Change email to a non-Microsoft email

Hello. When I made my gamertag years ago, I used an old email. While I still have control over this email, it's sort of become my spam email and I don't check it anymore. Like, ever. I have a new email which I use and have for the last several years. I noticed that my Gamertag was attached to my old email and was hoping to change it over to my new one in case there was ever an issue with my Gamertag. The issue is, every time I attempt to change it to my new email, I'm told that I cannot change it because it's not a Microsoft email (It's Gmail). 

I attempted to contact an ambassador however they informed me that it's impossible to change it to a non-microsoft email. I informed them that both my girlfriend and sister are using a Gmail account for their gamertag and he told me apparently because I signed up for Xbox Live years ago, I can't change my gamertag to a non-microsoft email.

What if my account was hacked and I was unable to get access over that hotmail account anymore? Would I have to make a brand new Live/Hotmail acc JUST for my Live account, regardless of the fact I'd never use it again in my life?

I'm hoping that you can inform me on how to change it to a non-microsoft email. Thank you in advance. 

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

My account was hacked several years ago and when it happened, I was able to add an AOL email I had to my account while the old Hotmail was retireved and recitifed. Since then I will receive emails to both account from Xbox and Microsoft for an assortment of things.

I initally added this email by contacting support at 18004MYXBOX.

However now years later I am able to change my account info myself here: https://live.xbox.com/en-US/Account/BillingAccountInformation?returnUrl=&abortUrl=&skin=

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Apparently last night, Xbox had some issues in regards to accounts randomly signing out (Mine was affected twice) so I had some issues contacting them.

After speaking with that ambassador I was quite unhappy as I was pretty confident it could be changed, yet they pretty much talked to me like I was an idiot for try. I called the number you provided instead. After waiting on the line for a bit (I imagine they're usually busy, never mind the fact that people were probably calling due to the sign out issues as well) I was put through to a customer service rep. If anyone else is having this issue, here was the solution:

1.) Go to signup.live.com

2.) Create a new Microsoft account USING the email you're having difficulties with

3.) Send a verification email to your email

4.) Confirm verification email

5.) Wait a few minutes before attempting to change it on your Xbox.

At this point you should no longer have any difficulties as it will associate your non-Microsoft email (AOL, Gmail, Yahoo, etc.) with a Microsoft account allowing you to continue with no difficulties.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.