Certain games will not install to hard drive - most install with no issues.

Hello - finally replaced old console with a new slim 360 & am now trying to install games onto new 320GB drive. Only downloaded content (games, dlc, etc from marketplace) would transfer over from old drive to new drive. Old hard drive's installed games would not transfer.

Ok - doing it the hard way I've managed to install most of my games but some will not install: Gears of War 2 and Duke Nukem Forever just sit in the tray as if the console doesn't even recognize they are there. Both games are scratch-free, both will do the initial spin-up when the tray closes and both games play from disc with no issues... but for some reason the console doesn't recognize them when I try to install them.

.Does anyone have any tips on getting these games to install?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 629 Applies to:

Hi Sloldad,

Sorry about the problem/s you are facing. I understand that they are frustrating.

Have you tried clearing your system's cache?

Many thanks,
- John. 

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

BluntShade - Thanks! Didn't realize it was an issue until you asked that question so I appreciate the head's up. I just now cleared the cache and it appears to have fixed the issue.

For others with the same issue: I searched up "how to clear xbox 360 system cache" and was led to this page: support.xbox.com/.../clear-system-cache . That appears to havbe done it - Gears of War2 is installing as I type.

Too many responses here come across as if written by teenagers who know everything and merely cond

Sorry this didn't help.

Excellent news Sloldad! Glad you got it working - makes me happy to know that I've helped someone resolve a problem they are facing.

Clearing the system cache resolves a lot of problems ;) - it's always a good first thing to do if you experience problems.

Many thanks,

- John.

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having the same problem and I've cleared the Cache with no luck. So far, it's with two LEGO games (LEGO: Pirates of the Caribbean and LEGO: Star Wars 3 - Clone Wars). The games play perfectly fine with the disk, but for some reason, everytime I try to install the disk, it just sits at 0% on the install screen and doesn't  ask me to do anything. I have to turn off the console to get it responsive again. I have other games installed already on here (Forza 3, Forza 4, Borderlands, Fallout 3, Grand Theft Auto 4, DJ Hero, L.A. Noir, Red Dead Redemption, NFS: Shift 2, Test Drive Unlimited 2), so that's not the problem. And I've had older LEGO installed on here once before (LEGO: Harry Potter 1 and 2, LEGO: Batman, LEGO: Star Wars - Complete)

Could it be that the latest LEGO games won't allow install???

I have a XBox 360 Slim with a 250GB Hard Drive (90GB free)

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there Starbug! Have you tried clearing the cache as suggested above? If that doesn't work, it could be that this game does not support installation. Not all games do allow for this function, and it is up to the developers to set this up. Please let us know if that helps, thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes... as I mentioned in my first sentence, I did clear the cache. Twice actually. However, I was unaware that certain games are not allowing to be installed onto the hard drive, so thanks for the heads up.

Though, shouldn't it say that somewhere on the back of the game case or the manual that this game will or will not install onto the Hard Drive? OR How about the dashboard informing you that this disk isn't available for installing to the Hard Drive. That will definitely save a lot of hassle and time right there. Especially when someone is in the mind set of the previous LEGO games that did install and the latest ones do not. I guess it's still a guessing game till then.

Thanks for the reply anyway.

Sorry this didn't help.

Turn off your XBOX turn it back on and do NOT sign into XBOX Live. Now try to install game. Tried forever to install Lego Harry Potter after I did this it worked first time out.

Sorry this didn't help.

Interesting... I'll give that a shot.

Sorry this didn't help.

I cleared system cache, then did NOT login to Xbox live and was able to install Lego Harry Potter.

Sorry this didn't help.

CrazyBigWookie's suggestion worked for me with Lego Harry Potter, thanks.

Sorry this didn't help.