Can't pay...infuriating

So the hiccups started when I first set up my new xbox last week, it wouldn't take my Visa card.  Oh well no biggie I didn't need to buy anything right away anyways.

Now today I want to buy some DLC.  OK let's get some payment method sorted out.  Visa still doesn't work (website says my number isn't valid?).  Mastercard works, so OK we're fine for now.

I buy a 12-month Gold membership just fine.  Then shortly after I go to buy some points and it's not authorized. WTF?  I try on the website, no go.

I add my paypal account.  That links just fine.  Try to buy points with it...not authorized.  FFS. 

I guess I'll have to buy points at a brick and mortar for now because this billing system is such a POS, and no games on demand either until this gets sorted out (tried to buy one to see if it was just the points, no go again with CC or paypal).

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

Try contacting your credit card company.  Perhaps xbox billing is being rejected by them.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

It really looks like an xbox billing problem.  Why doesn't it take the paypal either?  Also on the billing site it told me to go to both accounts are marked as in 'good' status.

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="haloimplant"]

It really looks like an xbox billing problem.  Why doesn't it take the paypal either?  Also on the billing site it told me to go to both accounts are marked as in 'good' status.

[/quote]

PayPal is only available to US members of Xbox LIVE.

Sorry this didn't help.

Well that's pretty lame...seems they REALLY don't want my money.

Visa - says the number is invalid

Mastercard - worked then stopped 10 minutes later

Paypal - only in the US

It seems like if I went to their office and threw handfuls of money at them they'd throw it back.

Sorry this didn't help.

Also in the list of countries where paypal is accepted Canada is included.  Why would it have added my account to payment options otherwise?  The system just really doesn't want me to buy anything lol.

support.xbox.com/.../use-paypal.aspx

Sorry this didn't help.

That's weird, you bought the 12 month membership with the visa? But the points don't work?. I'd say just buy the points off dell.ca x]. 1400 pts for 17.99 with free shipping. Unless there was a deal on the dashboard or something =P.

Sorry this didn't help.

OK so there was a calamity of errors here.  There was something slightly wrong with the address which for some reason got denied on the 2nd and subsequent charges instead of the 1st.

Then even after I cleared that up it was still not authorized.  24 hrs later I was just able to buy an on-demand game, I guess there was some flag on my account that was cleared?

The annoying thing is that when it doesn't work you simply can't fix it right away.   Continuing to try it even with the right information just makes it last longer, and the people on the phone can't help.  It seems you just have to get it fixed with the CC company and make sure the info on xbox is good, wait a day and pray.  

What's worse is that it locks out ALL payment methods, since my paypal wouldn't work either?  This seems to be a common complaint that even entering multiple payment methods none will work until the system sorts something out.

Sorry this didn't help.