Can't obtain an IP address from your router or modem

Hello all,

I hope someone here can help me, because I have a serious issue connecting to Xbox Live. First of all, I use homeplugs (ethernet over electricity wires) since my wireless internet only gives me 0 tot 1 bar and its not possible for a ethernet cable to be connected with my xbox 360 directly.Well, it is to test things but not as a permanently solution.

The problem is that my xbox 360 can't connect to my network (Xbox 360 .. X .. network). It has connected sometimes (two times, once 2 hours and once 1 hour) and then my connection is very strong and fast, but then after a while I get disconnected and then it takes hours to connect again. I was playing Halo multiplayer at both moments. At the moments I had a connection I wrote everything down (IP address, gateway, DNS etc.) and when I lose connection (and it says my IP address is 169.254.80.173 which means the modem lost contact) and switch to manual and enter the correct settings it still won't connect. I have tried everything the xbox says and everything on xbox support, except MAC filtering (can't find out how to configure that in my modems configuration page, though I have entered my laptops MAC address as an alternate MAC address accordingly to the xbox support site). I'm sorry if my English is bad, its not my native language. From a sticky I found it was useful to post this info:

What Country/State/Province do you live in? Netherlands
Modem brand & model number: Thomson Speedtouch 780 WL
Network Connection Type: Wireless/Wired: Wired

Things you have tried: 
Is UPnP Enabled? Yes
Is NAT Type Open? Unknown
Any Error Codes you encounter: 
What type of internet do you have? I think DSL
Who is your ISP(Internet Service Provider)? KPN
After you run "Test Xbox LIVE connection" and click on "More info", what is the exact message shown on screen? Can't obtain an IP address from your router or modem

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 18 Applies to:

Hey mate, have you had a chance to try all of the steps in this guide for resolving that specific issue?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I know this is a huge wall of text, so if something is not clear for you please ask me.

Also, I think my NAT type is open now:

NAT Helpers

NAT helpers allow you to have several simultaneous VPN connections. Not every VPN supplier supports this.

Use VPN Helpers: Yes

And when I connect the Xbox to the modem directly with a ethernet cable everything works fine as well.

Sorry this didn't help.

@Mister Fitzer Yes, except ''Solution 6 (modem connection only): Set your PPPoE settings'' I didn't quite understood what to do here. And at step 4 I didn't understood the ''Make up a unique IP address'', I did set the IP address manually though, but with the IP address that I get when I do have a connection. Thanks for the feedback :)

Sorry this didn't help.

Any specific help? Or where I should start in solving this problem? (xbox, homeplugs, modem). Im really desperate atm..

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, as a test can you try connecting direct to the router? If that works its down to the homeplugs, what make/model are they and is there a firmware update available for the homeplugs if so update them and try again. Also reset your Xbox network settings to factory defaults and leave them like that, you don't need to change anything

Sorry this didn't help.

@Shad0wmanUK I have connected the xbox directly into the modem now and it works fine at the moment. I'll try some multiplayer soon and see if it disconnects me then. My homeplugs are MSI Powerline ePower 1000hd (2x PL 1000 mbps, white). They are fairly new (april 2011) and I bought them 2 days ago. Xbox network settings are factory default again. I'll try to connect the homeplugs to my computer and check for firmware updates now. Thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.