can't log out of wrong account online

Ok, I haven't logged into my online account in probably a year.

Today I did, and was asked for my first name.  Typed in something just to get past the page and now I have a whole new account and new gamer tag.  Huh??

Stupid I know but now I CAN'T LOG OUT

Please someone help me log out.

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 90 Applies to:

It's still me just with my real account.

Seems that while using Internet Explorer, xbox.com grabbed my Microsoft Messenger hotmail address (it was open in the background) and decided for me that I didn't have an xbox.com account so I didn't get the usual sign in screen, I got the sign-up screen.

Seriously?

Now I still can't sign out of the wrong account on xbox.com in Internet Explorer even running with add-ons disabled and turning off anything I can find that could be "autofill"

BUT!

I Can Sign In, and Out of the right account, this one, with GOOGLE CHROME!

How's that for you?  

Looks like I'll be surfing a Microsoft's site about a Microsoft console using CHROME!

Too funny!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I have the same issue and I'm sick of it. I wanted to try to use my newly created outlook.com account and ditch Gmail altogether. I may not be able to do it, but I signed into my outlook account on the xbox website and now I can't sign into the correct account(Gmail) with all of my progress and avatar and such. Really annoying. My girlfriend had the same issue on her iPad when she signed into her bing rewards account. I also have the issue at work because I can't sign out of the browser there (which isn't so bad because I get points for searching at work haha. Anyways, for some odd reason the browser remembers all of this stuff.

I'm going to try clearing all history from the browser and seeing if that helps.

I just realized how old this post is. I'm assuming you've worked it out by now.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello, A little more information about where you are logged into your account would be much appreciated. Are you logged into the console or account.live.com?

Sorry this didn't help.