Can't connect to XBox Live

What Country/State/Province do you live in?   USA, Missouri
Modem brand & model number:    Charter
Router brand & model number: 
D-Link DIR-655
Network Connection Type: Wireless/Wired  Wired
If Wireless, what type of encryption are you using?
If Wireless, are you using a white or black external adapter, or an internal (Xbox 360S) adapter?
Things you have tried: 
Is UPnP Enabled? Yes/no/Unknown   Yes
Is NAT Type Open?   Yes
Any Error Codes you encounter:  

W: 0000-000B

X: 0000-F001

Y: OC88-1C40

Z:0000 - 0000

ID: 0006-0001

What type of internet do you have? Cable/DSL/T1/3G?  Cable
Who is your ISP(Internet Service Provider)?  Charter
After you run "Test Xbox LIVE connection" and click on "More info", what is the exact message shown on screen? 

Your console is connected to the Internet but can't contact Xbox Live.  your router or ISP may be blocking access to xbox live.

On your PC go to your router configuration webpage and make sure prot 3074 is open on your firewall.  etc...

This worked fine yesterday and now it doesn't work.  I've had no service changes with either my Cable provider or XBox.  I've tried all the "try this" and only managed to waste time.  It doesn't work with my firewall off, it doesn't work with the XBox in the DMZ, it doesn't worked plugged directly into the router.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

Have you tried plugging it in directly to the modem to bypass any possible issues with your router? Also, makes sure you dont have multiple router settings running together like UPnP, DMZ, Port forwarding, etc all at once as this could create issues.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi, what is the exact model of the modem (not the router) because the DIR-655 is a very cable router and should give an open nat out of the box. The 655 is best configured with no DMZ, no portforwarding, UPnP = enabled and Xbox IP Address set to auto.

Sorry this didn't help.

There is no modem model number listed.  Just the usual FCC notations and a serial number.

I've tried plugging directly into the model - doesn't help.

My son's XBox is connected to XBox Live just fine and the only difference between his setup and mine is that his internal IP address is .50 and mine is .51.  We've been playing with both XBoxes online with no problem for almost a year until yesterday.

Sorry this didn't help.

I just tried again and now it's working.

Would love to know what caused this.  Apparently I'm not the only one - the list of users affected appears to be growing.  Microsoft needs a better method of support.  Waiting for tech support to finally get around to a forum posting is nonsense!

I do appreciate your efforts though Crazy Ivan and Shadow Man!

Sorry this didn't help.

Ive heard rumblings on kotaku and such. i cant connect either, says my mtu is wrong but im over ethernet and if i remember right the mtu maximum is 1500 kbs over ethernet i cant seem to change it on my end very odd.

Dor or Do not, There is no Try

Sorry this didn't help.

Fossil for what its worth I would change your set to use UPnP only no forwarding or DMZ's and your ip address set to auto as what you have configured isn't needed at all on that router. It works great with multiple Xboxes configured as I've advised.

Also for what its worth the MTU error isn't usually a real MTU error its usually its last ditch attempt at trying to tell you something is wrong. It means it can't communicate with Xbox live, that is usually down to your ISP or the path between your Xbox and Xbox live or (much more rarely) that Xbox live is down.

Sorry this didn't help.