Can't connect 360 to monitor

Hey guys, I'm trying to use my Xbox 360 Slim 250GB on the Dell 2209WAf monitor through the DVI-D port. I have a HDMI-DVI cable and have connected it to both the Xbox and the monitor, but when I switch the input channel, it goes into Power Save mode. 

When I take the cable out of the Xbox but leave the DVI end in, it says DVI cable not found, which leads me to believe that the cable isn't faulty. I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing wrong. If it's a case of having to change some settings on the Xbox, I can't as the screen's blank. But I would've thought it would be just plug and play?

Any help would be appreciated as this is driving me crazy. Thanks

Just in case you need to know what cable it is, I'll post the link below:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Premium-HDMI-Cable-Gold-Metre/dp/B000GDI6FC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307292920&sr=8-1

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 51 Applies to:

Unfortunately that type of connection is not officially supported. We'd recommend using the Xbox 360 VGA HD AV Cable if your monitor has a VGA input. :) 

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

i need help. im trying to hook up my Xbox 360 to my computer monitor and i no you need a VGA HD AV cable but i don't get how you hook up the sound and were to plug in the thing in your monitor becuase in the back of mine all it says is wait there 3 slots and they are power, DVI IN, and RGB IN so i have no clue what that means

Sorry this didn't help.

ichigo there is a specific cable MS sells that plugs into the monitor via DVI and has audio composite cables available for sound.

Sorry this didn't help.

i seriously wish there was a way to plug my 360 into my laptop, using the usb ports. my hdmi port only goes out, not in on my laptop

Sorry this didn't help.

Just to clarify, Microsoft does not currently provide a cable that natively connects the Xbox 360 to a DVI input.

@ichigo - do you have a VGA port on the back of your monitor? You mentioned an RGB in, is it perhaps in the same format as the VGA? It would be a 15 pin D-Sub connector.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Guys as I understand HDMI requires a HDCP link to the monitor make sure the monitor supports DVI/HDCP at the port of the monitor. (Audio will have to be sent by other means on a DVI cable).

I personally use a HDMI to HDFury (HDCP Connector) then VGA cable from the HDfury to the Monitor and use audio out on a slim Component connector to pass audio out. As the other guys have said probably the easiest route is to get a Microsoft HD Component cable if you have 3 separate Red Green Blue Connectors on the monitor or if its a VGA connector (Should be its a monitor) get a VGA HD Cable.

Sorry this didn't help.

The 360 does not require HDCP for gaming. It's only required for DVD or HD DVD playback. This is something of a moot point as the Dell 2209WA supports HDCP.

HDMI to DVI may be an issue if the device on the other end has issues with errant signals. This can happen if the cable wired audio to DVI pins (it shouldn't, but anything's possible).

Dell's documentation on the 2209WA indicates it'll accept all the "normal" HDMI signals - 480i/480p/576i/576p/720p/1080i/1080p. As a regular display it'll also accept all resolutions the 360 can output.

Seems like the cable could be an issue. Best to try another, or an HDMI cable with an HDMI to DVI adapter.

Sorry this didn't help.