Cant Buy Games if i CANT STORE THEM Microsoft hates its users

I want to purchase games online and download them to my xbox. I plugged in my external usb hard drive to have somewhere to store them but it will only recognise 16GB. I see from the internet that this is intentional to force people to buy an xbox drive. I am not prepaired to pay the ridiculous price Microsoft charge for a small xbox drive so Microsoft is preventing me from buying Microsoft software online.  Another smart move Microsoft!!!!!

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

This has always been the rule for external storage units.  However, if you have a slim they do have a special coming out later this month.  They are release the 320 gb hard drive with a code for Lego Star Wars III.

majornelson.com/.../announcing-the-320-gb-media-hard-drive

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

[quote user="UnfledgedTrash3"]I am not prepaired to pay the ridiculous price Microsoft charge[/quote]Then why did you buy a 360?[quote]for a small xbox drive[/quote]Small? Exactly how many games do you want to install?[quote]so Microsoft is preventing me from buying Microsoft software online.[/quote]Nothing says you can't buy multiple drives and swap between them.[quote]Another smart move Microsoft!![/quote]Given the alternative is locking the drive to a specific console permanently, I'd say putting custom formatting and security data on drives to allow them to be used with any console as trusted, writable storage is a better alternative.

Sorry this didn't help.

@ IceStorm III

--Then why did you buy a 360?

Now have a mac for my work/home needs but as a gamer I did not want to loose decent gaming and I Did not know its limitations......I Know stupid before you say!

--Small? Exactly how many games do you want to install?

In the last 18 months I have purchased and downloaded eleven steam games for PC, Buying discs is a thing of the past, so is the Xbox if it does not change, 250 GB would mean a new drive for me in about a year.

--Nothing says you can't buy multiple drives and swap between them.

Stupid suggestion. New games at 8+ gb mean one drive per game.

--Given the alternative is locking the drive to a specific console permanently, I'd say putting custom formatting and security data on drives to allow them to be used with any console as trusted, writable storage is a better alternative.

Do you know what you are talking about? 16GB limit removal will keep all you just said the same but with more room!!

so its OK to put 1 game on external storage but not 10 or 20.....

Sorry this didn't help.

Xbox games can only go up to 6 and a bit GB, that's the hard and fast limitation of DVDs.

Sorry this didn't help.

Plus updates plus mods plus saves plus expansion. How big is your battlefield?

Sorry this didn't help.

Your idea that you would some how run out of space is a kind of a mute comment.  You don't need to keep everything you ever buy on your hard drive.  You can re-download all the content you purchase via Live at any time free of charge.  Which is the same way Steam operates.

Also buying all of your games via Games on Demand is a waste, most of these games can be purchased much cheaper in stores.  The disc games can be installed on the hard drive too.  Plus it's much quicker to install a 360 game from a disc than to download it from LIVE.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hmm... say 10 games a year, 10GB per game (including DLC). That's at least 22 games on a 250GB HDD before you need another.

So you'll be buying a new drive every two years, and those drive capacities go up. Perfectly doable if that's the way you want to go.

Tying yourself to Live is... well, let's just call it what it is - stupid. The 360's access to Live will not last forever. You really should buy games on DVD for long-term access.

Sorry this didn't help.

You all seem to be missing the point, Weather you agree or disagree with me or not regarding downloading content to the xbox is a side issue. The 16gb limit is in place to force users who wish to use the download service for games, or store movies or whatever to buy Microsoft only drives for more than double the cost of a normal drive.  It is not a hardware issue as the xbox is capable of reading and writing to a 1TB usb drive.  If you don't believe me format a 1TB to FAT32 and fill with files, plug it in to your xbox and it will read and write fine.  But you can't use it for game saves or downloads.  Are you really happy with that? Western digital got slated by users for forcing the use of WD drives only in the sharespace NAS, and they could be purchased any ware at a reasonable cost. The xbox seems to be a protected species by fanatical supporters. You all seem very protective of the xbox and that is nice but look at the big picture, the more people like me who purchase a large amount of software that move to the PS3 because of greed from Microsoft, and that is all this Microsoft drive only is really, the more uncertain the future of the xbox is.  

Sorry this didn't help.

You're correct.  It is not a hardware issue.  It is a programming issue.  Without the proper firmware installed on the drives the games may not function properly.

Sorry this didn't help.

I would accept that if you could not install any games, but that is not the case, you can install one or two games and they function fine.  Therefore if it can play one or two then it is not a firmware issue, its a firmware restriction. And not on the drives but on the xbox.  

Sorry this didn't help.