cannot sign into xbox live - lost password

My son created his gamertag and account several years ago. This weekend it has asked him to reconfirm his microsoft account and password in order to let him onto xbox live. Unfortunately, since the account was created we have changed ISP and hence email addresses so we

a) know the original email account linked with the gamertag but not the password

b) can't use the password reminder service as it sends an email out to the address that no longer exists

c) can't use the recover account process as the email address is so ancient that I do not have enough info on it to convince the service that it was ours.

Surely there is some way for me to prove the gamertag is ours and get it switched to link with one of our current email addresses?

I can give the credit card used to activate the Xbox live account and all recent payments, but have no idea who to contact or how to request this.

Help!

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

support.xbox.com/.../contact-us Call support with those rejection emails that said you didn't have enough information, and at home near the console because they will also need the console ID# to prove ownership. If they can prove ownership and grant a password reset your WLID will still be that ISP email, then once your able to sign in you can work on changing the WLID, just remember that is still going to be your login credentials until you properly change it on the console.

I AM NOT A MICROSOFT EMPLOYEE NOR FORUM MODERATOR. However I do know a lot about acct recovery.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Please in the future never use an ISP/School/Military emails. Once you are able to sign in you will need to create a new MSA (Microsoft Account) on account.live.com. Make sure your not signed in, and go to "Don't have a microsoft Account, sign up now!" and make a new MSA out of a good email that's not attached to any gamertag. I would suggest just creating your child's first professional email *** Email address is removed for privacy *** or something. Then to change it support.xbox.com/.../switch-gamertag-to-different-microsoft-account

I AM NOT A MICROSOFT EMPLOYEE NOR FORUM MODERATOR. However I do know a lot about acct recovery.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.