I have an Xbox 360 E with 4 GB of internal memory that I purchased November 2013. The other day when I turned it on it said there was an update to download. I selected yes and it shows a downloading progress bar. Before the bar has moved even one notch, I get a message about not being able to download the update and it shows this:
Can't download the update. To test your connection, open System Settings and select Network Settings, Test Xbox Live Connection.
If the problem persists, go to www.xbox.com/support
I looked up that status code on the support web site and it says to remove all storage. However, I cannot remove the storage because I only have the built-in 4GB flash memory.
The Xbox is connected to the network with a wired connection. Here's what I've tried to resolve this issue:
- Restarted my console. Always wants to install the update but always get the same error code.
- Tested Xbox LIVE Connection. The connection is good and it then tries to download the update, with the same error code.
- Made sure I had enough storage space. The 4GB flash memory is completely empty except the system software. There is 1.5 GB of free space.
- Cleared the cache on the flash memory three times.
- From a PC, downloaded the update file to a USB flash drive, inserted the flash drive into a USB port on the Xbox, then powered on the unit. It detected the update on the flash drive. It showed an "Extracting..." message but after a few seconds, shows the same error code. I even tried unplugging my wired network from the Xbox and reboot with the flash drive in. Same result.
- Tried to roll back an update from Settings -> System -> Storage; then LB, RB, X, LB, RB, X. I agree to the notification. Unit restarts and I get message about downloading an update. If I select Yes, I get the same error code.
- Tried formatting the 4GB internal memory storage. When I try to format, I get this message:
A required storage device has been removed. Your console will now restart.
Is there anything else I should try to resolve this problem? I'm starting to think the 4GB internal flash memory is bad since it won't let me install the update, even from a USB flash drive. The unit is still under warranty so I might just need to contact Xbox support to get the unit replaced. However, before I go that route I want to make sure I've exhausted all other possibilities.